Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:19 AM   #1

Default The Great Dilemma

Ok I've been shopping around for camera's for about a month or so now. I had decided on a 2100UZ but I am having trouble getting one in my price range from a respectable dealer. So I am now considering two other cameras.

The Olympus 3030z for its sharp pictures and manual controls.

or

The Fuji Finepix 3800 for it's lens 6x optical and 10cm macro
and nice appearance.

I really like the lens on the fuji, but I also want to be able to fully control shutter speed and apertures. What in the world should I do?
lckrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:53 AM   #2

I would recommend the Oly C4000 in lieu of the Oly C3030. The C4000 has a super macro function and it is 4mp. The camera will retail for less $400 on the web. Check www.dealtime.com for prices and vendor ratings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 9:53 AM   #3
lg

Check eBay - there's lots of dealers selling refurbished units out there at good prices. I just bought a second C-2100 for $360 two weeks ago with everything but a lens cap.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:23 AM   #4

Well, if you do buy a C-4000, and you are a newbie, I think you will be disappointed...check out an earlier post on this forum, 'C-4000 focusing problems'. For whatever reason, the majority of the 2 mp cameras provide an excellent 'point and shoot' image, with little user-manipulation required. I own an Oly D490Z, which worked perfectly, right out of the box! I moved up to the C-4000, because I wanted the 4 mp advantage, but let me tell you, this is no camera for the newbie or even for the intermediate photographer. I've been shooting pics for 20 years with a 35 mm SLR and digital pics for the past 4 years, and I cannot get a consistently good image from the C-4000. There are several other users who feel the same, again, check out earlier links in this forum.
However, if you ignore all my advice and decide to enter the 'outer limits' by buying a C-4000 online, at least don't make the mistake of being 'sucked in' by the lowest priced merchant! I bought my C-4000 (which I still regret), from http://www.buydig.com, they had a very low price and delivered my camera within 5 working days.
Good luck, but if I was you, I'd start out with a 2 mp, which can be had for under $200 and will give you 'point and shoot' quality results, which will make you happy that you chose digital photography. If the C-4000 had been my first digicam, I would have re-entered the dinosaur age and clung to my Pentax SLR![/url]
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:38 AM   #5

I am new not only to digital photography but to photography in general. I just purchased my C-4000 from www.dbuys.com. I am more than satisfied with the camera and the quality of photographs it takes. I consider this camera to be one I can grow into. I have used some of the manual controls as well as point and shoot. I feel it was $378 USD well-invested. The camera has received excellent reviews on other sites and only complaints from very few users (albiet strong complaints). I have experienced none of the focus problems reported in this forum.

I believe the same can be said for any product. There will always be someone who will have problems with whatever product. But in this case the majority have no problems. The C-4000 is a fine camera. Period.
Necron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:53 AM   #6

Hello Necron, by your own admission, you're new to not only digital photography, but photography itself. So, on what basis do you qualify your statements that the C-4000 is a 'fine camera, period'? You have nothing to compare it with. Also, your statement that there are 'a few' complainers, but the majority of users are pleased, is based on what? Are you now an authority on what all of the C-4000 owners are experiencing?
I'm no professional, but I've been into photography seriously since 1982, starting out with a manual 35 mm Pentax K1000 and progressing into digital about 5 years ago. I take pics almost everyday and I know what makes a great pic or fails supremely. While the reviews on 3 or 4 digital imaging sites give the C-4000 a great rating (that's why I bought it), there is no denying that no single camera, as late, has caused so many problems with intermediate users. I can compare my C-4000 output to my previous camera, the D490Z, and the C-4000 is inferior, big time, for my usage. It has 4 mp, which are great, but compared to the quality I've been getting for 20 years, it is not living up to its appraisal.
So I would suggest getting a few years of experience and trying different cameras, before you make statements that are to be considered valid.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:53 AM   #7

marcoangels

I understand your frustration. Could it be that you have a lemon? I have seen and shot many great pictures from the C-4000. I have noticed other Oly models for some people that don't get the anticpated results that their model shoud get. It almost seems that there are quality control issues at Olympus. Maybe you should contact Olympus service? The C-4000 is not perfect but I don't think it is as bad as you have experienced for most users.
Pipeman597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:47 AM   #8

I own the C4040 and I have owned the C3000, D490Z, D340L. I also have access to a friends C4000 and have used it to take at least 100 shots. I experienced no focus problems with the camera. My friend, a newbie to digital cameras, shoots only in the auto mode and has not tried to venture to the manual. He is very pleased with the camera. I have been using digital cameras for the last seven years. We have an Epson and Nikon at work that I shoot with and I use a Kodak camera at our church. A bad experience with a camera model does not make it a bad camera nor does a good experience make it a good camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 2:09 PM   #9
JAG

Marcoangels...

Has anyone ever pointed out that you take yourself way too seriously?
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote