Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1
grb

I recently purchased an Olympus C70/7000 for my parents. It was intended that I would also purchase a remote control so that they could view the pictures, from the comfort of their chairs, on television. When I connected the camera to the television the the pictures flickered where there tended to be a lot of detail. I have checked the output format is correct, PAL. The pictures were taken on the 3072x2048 HQ setting. It was noticeable that photographs that were less detailed did not exhibit this effect and it does not occur when viewing them on a computer monitor. Is anyone able to suggest how the flickering can be prevented.
grb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:13 PM   #2

Hi,

PAL vertical resolution on TV set is about 500 lines.

They are interlaced (250 +250) lines.

Yor high resolution image is scaled down from ~2000 horisontal lines to 500 lines.

Definately you image lost many details.

Additionaly depend on the scaling scheme ODD and EVEN frames on TV set are slightly different and you see flickering effect.

As soon as you are using low resolution images with about 500 horisontal lines scaling scheme is notaffecting ODD and EVEL frame so intense and the overall picture with low resolution look better than high resolution picture.

On computer you can adjust screen setting up to 1600x1200. 1200 is definately better than fixed 500 lines on TV.

Additionaly any modern monitor has progressive scan mode and there is no interlacing issue.

I hope it help.

Andrei.
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:41 AM   #3
grb

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful.

From what you have said it looks like there is no simple way of viewing pictures on the television without flickering unless the quality of the image is reduced, which would mean taking two photographs.

Gareth
grb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:19 PM   #4

A few more words:

Regular TV set with NTSC, PAL or SECAN standard will newer provideus with high quality output. These standards have been designed may years ago when no one was even thinking about digital photography.

Newnon-interlaced HDTV standard with ~1024 horisontal lines will serve us better, but it is expensive solution for your application. Good PC with good monitor cost much less than any latest HDTV set.

Have you ever considered this solution?:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04...pson_p2000.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...s/P-2000.shtml

The most attractive part of this device is very high resolution LCD screen.

Unfortunately it is supporting only 6x6x6 RxGxB instead of 8x8x8, but in overall it is very interesting replacement for conventional photo-album.

akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote