Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1

I have been using a Nikon 950 since its introduction & have had it repaired before. (Broken again) Now the repair cost is about the same as purchasing a new camera.

The camerawill be used a lot for web photos. I had to use photoshop with the 950 to make the shots acceptable. I am 73and am turning over duties to others.I need a camera that can point and shoot yet produce the best shotspossible for web pages or email to customers without taxing the abilities of those that are not photoshop literate.

After reading your reviews, it seems to me that Olympus offers the best choice. We shoot a lot of jewelry, so color, sharpness without artifactsand white balance areimportant. Am I right in choosingbetween these two cameras or are there betterchoices? It also appears that the 8080 had the best AF capture. Does the 7070 use the same AF capture as the 8080?

I am willing to pay what is necessary to make it the best choice for both picture quality and ease of use for the clerks.

Regard, Dick

gr8stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:53 PM   #2

Actualy, im also in the process of getting a new digicam. And ive seen samples of both the 8080 and 7070 , in this site. To me The 7070 Has better image quality !

You can check em out your self under steves digicams review.

My 2 cents .

xalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:30 PM   #3

I just got my 7070 and its a top camera. It replaced a Canon G6 and to be honest, it wipes the floor with the Canon. Well recomended!

B B
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4

I don't think you can lose with either the C7070 or the C8080, but I disagree that the image quality of the C7070 would beat the C8080. The lens resolution on the C8080 is better than the C8080, and the larger MP of the 8MP would also contribute to a better photo.Many owners of the C8080 claim the photos are better than the results from their DSLRs. I like both cameras, but think the C8080 definitely has the final edge on image quality. It also has the edge for close-up shots. For overall features, it's a matter of personal choice. They are both winners.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:29 AM   #5

Steven R,

Thanks for your reply. Please read my edited post. Do you know if the 7070 uses the same AF capture as the 8080. I understood that the two lenses were the same, where did you find this info? Also, is there a difference, ie: which is better in selecting a true white?

Thanks again, Dick
gr8stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:35 AM   #6

Hi: No, the lenses are definitely not the same. Look at the cameras side by side. The 7070 uses a smaller 27-110, the 8080 uses a unique 28-140 that is shared with no other camera. Read the reviews on the 8080, the lens is always a superstar. But both are good camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7

Defenetly you cant go wrong for either one. both are awsome cameras !

xalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote