Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:50 AM   #31

stuart.daniel wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody actually managed to get their 1Gb card swapped for 2 x 512MB cards. I contacted Olympus Europe to request the swap and 10 days later have heard nothing back from them. At this stage I am starting to regret 'upgrading' from my old Fuji Camera.
Although I don't think the 2x512Mbgives me all the convenience of a 1GB card, I must agree Olympus does a good job by replacing the 1Gb card. In Europe, I've shipped my card to Olympus OCC in Czech Republic and received two brand new 512Mb cards within few days.

I'm still wondering why Olympus ever ran into this stupidproblem and even worse, why are they unable to solve it...
eeeteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:14 PM   #32

I have given up on Olympus and I contacted Amazon (from whom I bought the card) and they agreed to replace the card without any questions. If only Olympus were like this.

Just out of interest has anybody (with the exception of eeeteee who sent theirs back) managed to get Olympus to replace the card, been requested by Olympus to return the card or even seen any mention on their web sites about the possibility of returning the card for a replacement. I feel like I have been left in limbo by Olympus

On a more positive note I have bought an additional 512MB card and the camera works like a dream (I gave up waiting for the mail from Olympus to replace the card)
stuart.daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:43 PM   #33

i have been researching this camera extensively online. My primary interest is in the MPEG4 audio chip. From looking at two c770 .mp4 movies online it appears that the cameracaptures 16bit sound at 48khz (compact disc bit rate) and compressesit down into .aac files (iPod, iTunes, etc...), which are packed in with the video into an .mp4 file.

Has anyone tried making a"movie" leaving their lens cap on? It seems like this mighthave the effect of stetching the space on the memory card if all you want is the audio track. Theblack frames should be easy to compress to almost nothing and the audio should be comparable in size and quality to mp3 audio (ie. 1 Megbyte/minute---8 hours of audio on the 512MB card!).

any of you c770 ownerswant to give it atry and let me know?

thanks (i know im a little wide of the topic....),

gravy D

[email protected]
gravydavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:05 PM   #34

I had contacted Olympus before I bought this card myself because I wanted to be sure it would work. An Olympus represtentative told me to not bother buying this since it could not work with the movie mode correctly.
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:41 AM   #35

I spoke to the distributor where I bought the camera yesterday, he said the 1gb does not work with the camera! I informed him of the Olympus site that said it does and realised I was wasting my time... Subsequently,I spoke to Olympus, who in fairness were very helpful and said that the card has software issues and camera settings should be changed from MPEG4 to SHQ mode there should be nodegradation in quality but will not be as compressed.I am not happy with this solution and will be taking the 1gb card back until it is fixed. This applies to all movies that run over 1 minute in duration, if you notice very short movies work okay with 1gb card (less than 1 minute).

Hope this helps - shame as great camera other than that...

Potsy
Potsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:41 AM   #36

I spoke to the distributor where I bought the camera yesterday, he said the 1gb does not work with the camera! I informed him of the Olympus site that said it does and realised I was wasting my time... Subsequently,I spoke to Olympus, who in fairness were very helpful and said that the card has software issues and camera settings should be changed from MPEG4 to SHQ mode there should be nodegradation in quality but will not be as compressed.I am not happy with this solution and will be taking the 1gb card back until it is fixed. This applies to all movies that run over 1 minute in duration, if you notice very short movies work okay with 1gb card (less than 1 minute).

Hope this helps - shame as great camera other than that...

Potsy
Potsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:44 AM   #37

To update my last post on 20th April 2005. Where i had managed to get Digital Depot Stevenage to swap my 1Gb card for two 512s.

Problem is the 512Mb still suffers from the same problems. It seems to record for a longer time, maybe 4-6minsok, but then still throws up a error with longer clips maybe 6-10mins (i have not timed them exactly). But worst still, clips which appear to have recorded correctly are found to have very poor sound sync when replayed on the PC or TV.

Im appalled at Olympus response to avoid using Mpeg4 with sound as i brought the movie version for exactly that reason. I wish i had not bothered.

I suppose it sounded too good to be true, A very compact stills camera with excellent 10X zoom, very good macro function and video recorder.
c.kempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:32 PM   #38

Lets get real, any xd card that starts with the prefix m256, m512, m1gb will not work in anything, including printers, card readers and so on. These xdm256,512,1gb cards are made for newer cameras,printers and card readers that have the firmware and or software updates. I can shoot all day with the older xd512 cards pop them into my printer, card reader or what ever an they work fine. When I use my xdm512 card the only way for me to get the pictures on to the computer is to conect the cable directly from the camera to the computer and it down loads them fine. I use the olympus c770 with xd512 card for movies no problem, with xdm512 card in camera movies are fine but can't down loadthemuseing my my card reader.
ruggs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:35 PM   #39

I can't help but wonder how the newest models (SP315/350/500) will handle the soon-to-be-released Type H xD cards. Will they be a repeat of the same fiasco?
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote