Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

I tried the new Olympus 1Gb xD Picturecard on the C770 and it worked fine for photos (can save lots of pictures), but MP4 video recordings end up in corrupted files.

It looks like the C770 recognizes the size of 1 Gbyte for video since it tells me the recording time will be an estimated hour and during recordings you can see it saves to card and the remaining time decreases happily. After stopping the recording though, the movie appears not being saved properly and when trying to view it shows PICTURE ERROR.

Erasing and/or formatting doesn't help, maybe it's a firmware problem.

Anybody experience with the new card and the C770?
eeeteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2

Same probleme here.
PWRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:06 PM   #3

Hmmm, Looks like the problem only happens when the microphone is enabled.... When switching OFF audiorecording, the length of the recording can be up to an hour with no problem at all, but when I switch ON audio, any MP4 file longer than one minute will fail.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4

Interesting.

I'm sure now the card itself is okay. I have done heavy read/write testing with my card reader.

Have you sent an email to Olympus customer support? Did you got an answer?

edit: Same here again. Without sound I can record mpeg4 without problems too.

Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:20 AM   #5

Best thing is to open a case yourself to Olympus.
If they hear about this problem from many people maybe the firmware fix will be available soon.

Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:55 AM   #6

Yes, I have done so. But they didn't reply.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:42 AM   #7

Hi again

Today I had a problem with a JPEG photo. The Camera told me "card error" and could not save the photo. After I made a new test with my card reader. I copied 1 GB JPEGs to the card without any problems.:?:
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:58 AM   #8

Hopefully the problemisn't even worse...Not sure how the MP4 PICTURE ERROR impacts other writings to card, but maybe it issafer to format the card after PICTURE ERROR occured.

I'm awaiting answer from Olympus support. They are looking into this issue right now.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:51 PM   #9

Hi I recently brought a Olympus C-770 UZ and 1GB XD card and am experiencing exactly the same problems as yourself. The camera works fine with VGAwith and without sound and MPEG4 with no sound but locks up with MPEG4 and sound. I have taken five minute clips in MPEG4 only for them to completely disappear from the card. Others result in picture error messages.

Having found your entry by searching the web i have contacted Olympus by email and explained the problem and that i am not alone. They replied swiftly but only to say they are completely unaware of any other case. They advise leaving the battery out for 24 hours, or returning the camera for service.

Luckily it is only ten days old and the shop have agreed to change it. I will try another one and let you know how i get on.

Chris. P.S Annoyingly i read Steve`s Digicams review before buying it, Shame any problems cannot be liked to the reviews.
c.kempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:41 AM   #10

I'm in contact with Olympus Japan directly.

I told them the problem in detail and asked them whether it would make sense to replace the card or not.

They told me that they are inspecting the problem right now. They asked me to wait a while for further advice.

I will report any news about the problem here.