Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:41 PM   #1

I have tried and liked Olympus' line of Ultra Zoom cameras. One feature that they don't have is a lens stabilizer. Are they planning an updated version of the C-770 with this feature as well as an on-par resolution (5.0+ mpxl) for release anytime soon?
silviesalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2

Having taken hundreds (if not thousands)of photos with the Oly ultrazoom, I have very rarely found a need for I.S. However, you do have to use careful shooting techniques in low light with full telephoto -i.e. slow smooth shutter press,brace the camera against the sideof a tree or pole, crank up theISO speed, etc. It's hard to beat the smallbody size combined with the excellent all glass10x lens. I love the size, it's so easy to throw in a brief case or coat pocket, and carry it on business trips.Ihave taken it from coast to coast several times.

That said, don't expect to see image stabilization soon. However, Panasonic is going to adapt Olympus's 4/3size which is used in the OlyE-300 and E-1. So withnew cooperation between the two firms, maybe you will see future Olympus modelsusing the Panasonic I.S. systems for lens stabilization. But I wouldn't expect that to happen before 12-18 months in the future. Maybe we'll see it by the summer of 2006.

Go ahead and hunt for a bargain on a C770. You could be making a lot of pictures and enjoying it now. If there is a new model with I.S. next year, just sell your C770 on E-bay and buy the new model. You won't have any trouble selling it, there are a lot of folks who will buy it from you.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:47 AM   #3

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
However, Panasonic is going to adapt Olympus's 4/3size which is used in the OlyE-300 and E-1. So withnew cooperation between the two firms, maybe you will see future Olympus modelsusing the Panasonic I.S. systems for lens stabilization. But I wouldn't expect that to happen before 12-18 months in the future. Maybe we'll see it by the summer of 2006.
It was actually Olympus,& Kodak that jointly developed the 4/3 lens system, along with partners Panasonic, Sanyo, Sigma and Fujifilm. So far Olympus is the only one to produce cameras and lenses. Because the 4/3 lens system is interchangable, you could use a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body, etc.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:26 PM   #4

hi Dnas: let me clear up a little misconception you may have: the "4/3" refers to the sensor ratios, it has nothing to do with the lens mount. (i.e: think film- both the Olympus and Nikon SLRs use the same size 35mm film, but you could not take your Zuiko lens and click it onto a Nikon, or vice-versa. Most camera manufactors use their own unique lens mount: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc, lens do notmount onto another brand; (though there are some 3rd party adapters available).

That's why the significance of the joint agreement with Pany&Olympus on common components,will result in future DSLRs from them, that will allow the lens to be the same mount for both brands. They are working jointly to devlop key components together, including the lens mount, not just only the same sensor. That's why the lens will be interchangable in the new model. By using the same sensor type, a 45mm lens from Pany will cover the same field of view as a 45mm lens from Oly.

I've posted the press release below.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05...shita_dslr.asp

Thanks,

Steven R.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:48 PM   #5

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
hi Dnas: let me clear up a little misconception you may have: the "4/3" refers to the sensor ratios, it has nothing to do with the lens mount. (i.e: think film- both the Olympus and Nikon SLRs use the same size 35mm film, but you could not take your Zuiko lens and click it onto a Nikon, or vice-versa. Most camera manufactors use their own unique lens mount: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc, lens do notmount onto another brand; (though there are some 3rd party adapters available).

That's why the significance of the joint agreement with Pany&Olympus on common components,will result in future DSLRs from them, that will allow the lens to be the same mount for both brands. They are working jointly to devlop key components together, including the lens mount, not just only the same sensor. That's why the lens will be interchangable in the new model. By using the same sensor type, a 45mm lens from Pany will cover the same field of view as a 45mm lens from Oly.

I've posted the press release below.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05...shita_dslr.asp

Thanks,

Steven R.
I'm afraid you're not correct either.

4/3 does NOT refer to sensor ratio. 4/3 is actually the size of the sensor, being 4/3" or 1.33". 4/3" = 13.5mm x 18.0mm, which is slightly smaller than the sensors used in most Canon DSLRs (15.1mm x 22.7mm)

The sensor used in the "4/3 system" lens mount is a 4/3" sensor, which givesthe lens mount the name.

If you look at the reviewat StevesDigicamsfor the Olympus E1, it says it uses the "4/3 System" under "Lens Mount", and under specifications it says "Four-Thirds mount" for lens mount.

So the lens mounts for the 4/3 system is called "4/3 system lens mount". The E1carries the "4/3" logo on the camera body and lens indicating that it is part of this standard (sensor size and lens mount)
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:05 AM   #6

Hi Dnas: good points, I was tired, and didn't clarify my points very well. But first, according to development history of the 4/3 system,the namedid come fromthe ratio, andnot from the size of the sensor. To quote fromPopular Photography Magazine in 2003:

".....Olympus decided to design the new Four Thirds system with the help of its imaging-sensor partner, Kodak. The name Four Thirds is derived from the 4:3 aspect ratio of the image sensor in the camera. (By this method, 35mm film could be called the Two Thirds system because of its 2:3 aspect ratio.) Kodak's advanced 5.5MP, Full Frame Transfer CCD (measuring 17.3x13mm) was chosen because of its 4:3 aspect ratio, its high resolution, color accuracy, and low noise. (Its narrower horizontal field of view, relative to the vertical axis also helps reduce edge effects.) Then Olympus optimized the design of their new Zuiko Digital lenses for this flat CCD using aspherical elements and high-quality ED glass. "

There were actually6 companies involved in the 4/3: Olympus, Kodak,Sanyo, Sigma,Panasonic,and Fujifilm. But it was Olympus who took the lead in designing the lens specs and mount. And with the E-1, they were the first to actually make and selllens that were designed to use with that sensor, and in the new agreed upon lens mount.

My point was that the system's name came from the sensor ratio, and different cameras have traditionally used their own lens mount in the past. Now Panasonic will be coming out next year with joint lens that will fit 4/3 system cameras, andthere will be others in the future. (But I would notexpect to see lens from Canon or Nikon in the 4/3 lens mount anytime soon.) I think it is a good system, and hope it grows.

Thanks,

Steven R.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:29 PM   #7

That original article in 2003 was not correct. The aspect ratio may be 4:3, but the aspect ratio for MOST CCDs is also 4:3.

e.g.

2/3" is 8.8mm x 6.6 = 4:3

1.1.8" is 7.18mm x 5.32 = 4:3

It wouldn't make any sense to create a sensor/lens system based on a ratio ONLY, if the sensors are different sizes.

This from the review for the E1 in DPreview.com:

"It's worth noting that Fujifilm has also expressed an interest in the 4/3 system. This standard defines the size* of sensor (4/3" type, 18 x 13.5 mm) and the lens mount / lens communication protocol. In theory you should be able to use a 4/3 lens from any manufacturer on a 4/3 body.

* There has been some confusion about the exact meaning of '4/3', at one stage it was published elsewhere that this referred to the aspect ratio of the image. I can confirm that although a coincidence the 4/3 name was never meant to refer to the image aspect ratio. "

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/

Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:47 AM   #8

silviesalco

i have the 2100 uz and the canon g5, and the oly 8080wz. i still use my 2100 alot this past monday went though the mountains and took a lot of pictures with the 2100 and the stab lens did a great job going over bumpy roads 60 miles an hour just point and shoot no blur and perfect pictures. like you wish oly come out with a newer camera withhigher megapixel
bherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:16 AM   #9

I would be curious to see if Olympus releases a new UZ camera this year.

I mean, the competitors are having IS, 12x zoom, manual focus ringsand higher Mp counts, releasing their next generation of UZs. Olympus, having the best image quality, remains well behind on AF times, on IS and zoom counts... How long?

I enjoyed my C750 to the max, and I still don't want to buy a Panasonic (and the new S2 IS from Canon joins the pack). Neither am I interested in Konica and Sony offers in this field. But if Olympus does not release an upgraded camera this year, they will loose a big opportunity. 2006 seems too far away...

Let's say I can wait till this fall, but not more...

Does anyone know when exactly Olympus plan to release its new UZis? At least some rumors, folks...
blindshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:06 PM   #10

I also love my C750uz and use it alot even after buying an E-1. I'm just a little shocked that Oly seems to be sitting back and almost handing over the ultra zoom market to its competitors with their lack of updates after basically creating the market. When the 765/770 were released I wasn't all that impressed with these two "new" offerings as they took away some of the features I liked alot about the 740/750....namely the use of AA batteries!:sad:

So in the last 2 years IMHO Oly has been sitting on their hands when it comes to this market while steadily releasing new and better models in other segments like the Stylus 800 which is definately a one of a kind for that segment.

I would love to see something like the following:

C-780uz/C-790uz

(maybe add C-785uz/C-795uz models that offer all of the features listed and have the 780/790 models more of a bare bones version without some)

5mp/7mp 1/8" CCD based models

28-420mm (a-la Samsung Digimax Pro 815) IS (borrowed tech from say Panasonic?) lens... but make sure its of decent quality and relatively fast (f2.8-3.5)

xD media is fine by me now that they have 1gb cards, the price is very resonable for the cards compared to other high speed versions of sD and CF.... but they need to optimise the cameras memory subsystem like what Fugi did with the S3 (xD transfers at 3.8 MB/sec compared to 2.1 MB/sec for CF)

Give us some decent continueous shooting modes like 2 to 2.5 f/s but for something like 3-4seconds minimum at all resolutions and maybe a continuous shooting mode till the card fills at a slightly lower resolution.

Go back to using 4 AA batteries even if it means slightly larger size cameras.

Offer both a 0.8x WCON and 1.7x TCON (or even the TCON-300!)at reasonable prices like was available for the other UZ models.... but definately not for the C-8080.

keep the flash mount, add a zoom ring/manual focus ring, speed up the auto focus, add an auto-focus assist lamp.... ext.

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote