Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:42 PM   #1

Default Good gift camera & thanks

First, I want to say thanks to all the folks on this forum that helped me with my choice and purchase of a 2100UZ earlier this year. It is a great camera (even though I am not a great photographer, yet). You can see some of my photos at www.pbase.com/lil_country.

Now I want to by a camera for my son and my daughter who are in college. I need to stay around $200. Can you give me some advice?
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:47 PM   #2

Great pics. Great action photos.

Look at the D490Z, 2mp, 3X optical zoom, small and takes great pics. It was one of the Oly's I owned in the past. I gave it to my son in college. Check www.dealtime.com for pricing and vendor ratings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 5:04 PM   #3

Thanks, I just started looking today. So far I have been looking at the D520 and C2020 (refurbished). I'm not sure I can get them in my price range, but I would like a camera with USB capability.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 7:18 PM   #4

Good luck.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 9:29 PM   #5

I bought the D520 from www.buydig.com which has it for $192. This is a new camera with USA warranty.

I've purchased both my digital cameras from buydig and have been very happy with their low prices and quick delivery.

There are many vendors who have refurbished cameras, but they only have a 90 day warranty, so be sure you are saving enough to justify the short warranty. The new camera comes with a one year warranty.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:29 AM   #6

I agree with the D490Z and buydig.com, both have been very good to me...to enter the world of 3mp, Officemax has an 'instore special' for the next 3 days, you can get a D550Z for $299, with a free 64 mb smartmedia card! Hard to beat that deal!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:47 AM   #7
lg

I looked at digital cameras for 2 years before purchasing my C-2100, and Olympus cameras were always my top pick. The first one I looked at was the D490, and it would be a great choice for a camera under $200. Please note that it does NOT have USB support, and must be hooked up to a serial port if you don't use a card reader. For that reason you might look at a refurbished 510, or a 520 or 550. The 510 is pretty tough on batteries, as are most all digicams, but the 520 runs on only two. The 520 has a smaller LCD (1.5 vs 1.8") and a few less features. The 550 is probably out of your price range right now, but if I were going to buy a point and shoot camera that is pocketable, that's probably the one I'd get right now. Good luck on your new camera purchase, and I hope you find one that pleases you as much as your current camera.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 6:29 PM   #8

I did look at the d550, but you are right, it is out of my price range. Especially since I am buying two of them. I think I am going to go with the 520. I can get it for close to $200. Thanks for the advice.