Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:51 AM   #1
Bam

Default enabling panoramic on non Olympus smartmedia cards?

On the C-4000 focusing thread, fenlander mentions that " I pano-enabled all my Smartmedia cards."

How is this possible?

Thanks,

TB
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:27 AM   #2

TB,

Like all media, SM cards need low-level formatting. Cards you buy are already low-level formatted by the manufacturer and in the case of Olympus cards, the file system header contains a flag (the words "OLYMPUS PAN 1.0" if I remember correctly: the presence of this flag activates the pano function on the camera.

Many SM card readers are supplied with a low-level formatting program (SMPREP.EXE) for use in case the card's original format is corrupted in use. This program can be "kludged" with a hex editor so that the cards acquire the necessary flag in the format. "Pano-enabling" a non-Oly card is just a matter of low-level formatting it with this kludged software.

Note: the low-level format required is NOT the one you can do directly with the camera: it needs to be done with a Smartmedia card reader and a PC. Also not all readers come with the right version of SMPREP: Zio readers and similar generally do.

For all the details of this process, you should take a look at:
http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/pan/

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3

Can this hack be implemented on CF cards as well? Also, can it be done directly via the PC, or do you definitely need an independent card reader?
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:11 AM   #4

Repeated from "Corporate Strongarm Tactics" message:

I don't know if it effects CF cards...mostly it's been smartmedia and Xd cards...does the panoramic mode work (turn on) on your C-5050 with just a CF card in it?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:37 PM   #5
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlander
... Also not all readers come with the right version of SMPREP: Zio readers and similar generally do.
fenlander
Please note also that not all card readers will work with the SMPREP utility-- for example, a Kodak card reader will not, but a Dazzle card reader will.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:00 PM   #6

i bought a pretec sm card reader. do you know if pretec card readers will work with the SMPREP utility ??
kind regards,
nachomur
nachomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:14 AM   #7
lg

Nachomur, you can try, but if the smprep utility didn't come with your card reader, I would suspect that it probably won't work.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:07 PM   #8

hi lg !
here we are again !
i looked at the sw cd that cames with my pretec reader (UCR-S04), and didn't found this smprep utility...
i guess that if i want to take panorama pictures, i must do it with the original sm (only 8m !)

nachomur
Old Jun 7, 2003, 7:51 PM   #9
lg

Well, nachomur, you can always buy another inexpensive SM card reader that comes with the smprep utility-- I bought a brand new Dazzle brand single slot SM card for less than $15 on eBay. BTW, how's the UZI?
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:26 AM   #10

hi lg !
it is very expensive for us in Argentina to buy cheap things in the USA on eBay. i'll pay more for the shipment than for the product i bought... for example, for my UZI i paid u$s 30 for shipment, and u$s 70 more for custom taxes... Unfortunately, here in Argentina we don't have to many offers for card readers.

by the way, the UZI is AMAZING !!!! i took lots of pictures !! i'm very happy with it ! i need to buy another one for a friend, but i don't find another seller that gives me the confidence...

kind regards,