Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 17, 2002, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Best Deal??

I am buying my first digital camera and the c-4000 looked great. I noticed that back in November everybody has issues with the CA and focus traits of the camera. Now those problems don't seem to be on the board too much.

Does anybody know it the c-50 is a better camera?
Would I be better off buying a different brand/camera?

I really only have 2 basic requirements - that I can use off the shelf batteries if needed and that the pictures are excellent. The pictures will be emailed or posted online 95% of the time for now - but in the future I may get more into printing.

I'm sure you have been asked these questions a lot lately, but I would appreciate the help. So far the cameras that looked good were the:
C-730
c-4000
c-50
The canon line looks good but they tend to use non-AA batteries. Then there are the "little" cameras. I will probably get a travel camera down the road to take on motorcycle day trips in the area.

It is a lot of money to spend if you end up unhappy - but it will be such a great bargain if it ends up being the "right" camera.
Lodewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:10 PM   #2

How much do you want to spend? You have mentioned a sub compact (C50), a compact with super macro capability (C4000), and a long zoom camera (C730), which feature is the most important to you? Steve has his final review of the C5050 and he has given the camera very high marks. The C5050 cost about $700 on the web.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:11 AM   #3

Although the camera can use "off the shelf" AA alkalines, I suggest using high capacity NiMh AA rechargeable batteries...you'll get a LOT more pictures from them although alkaline can be used in an emergency (don't even think about zinc-carbon batteries).

When I don't intend to use the camera for a while, I pop in a set of lithium batteries (to keep the settings intact) as they don't discharge on their own and have a long life.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:01 PM   #4

Thanks to those that have taken the time to help me!!!

I will only be using the regular AA if I'm out on the bike and the batteries die. $700 is probably more than I want to spend but if it corrects the problems with the c-4000 then it might be worth it in the long run.

I thought the zoom would be nice for greater detail but the more I read the more I moved away from the 730. The C-50 was attractive because it would travel well on the motorcycle - though I'm sure a C-4000 would do fine - just not as handy. I don't think the C-50 is much more than the C-4000. The only mail-order place I really trust is J&R ant they are at $439 for the C-4000.

For email purposes in a 1600 x ???? format, would a 5mp have a better picture than a 4mp or 2mp? I am under the impression that the higher mp is only better because it gives you a bigger picture. Is there actually more detail in the same size picture?

So what do you guys recommend?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5

For me, I like the longer zoom of the C-730 (as a C-700 user). For email smaller is usally better...most people's monitors are 800x600 so anything larger is useless for onscreen viewing. The higher MP is only good for better/larger prints. You only need 2mp for 8x10, but it can be improved with higher MP, or you can print larger prints.

An account like Hotmail only has 2 megs of space total, and people with modems don't like waiting for pictures to download...most have the paitence for 100K.

For portability the C-50 is nice (not for me though)...and with it's own cover it will protect it nicely on a bike.

You'll have to decide though on your own needs which is best.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:43 AM   #6
lg

Default Re: Best Deal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewick
Does anybody know it the c-50 is a better camera?...I really only have 2 basic requirements - that I can use off the shelf batteries if needed...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the C-50 use a proprietary lithium rechargeable battery? Perhaps the D-40 is what you were thinking about...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:42 AM   #7

LG is correct about the batteries. A backup battery pack can be purchased from Olympus for $70.
https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...asp?sku=200838
Old Dec 19, 2002, 2:56 PM   #8

Well I think it is down to the C-4000 or the C-5050. The 5050 looks ideal except for the price tag.......
Old Dec 19, 2002, 5:06 PM   #9

Lodewick
Have you looked on the web for pricing? Check www.dealtime.com for pricing and vendor rating. You will find several dealers with a 5 star rating and selling the C5050 at less than $700.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:27 PM   #10

Gibsonpd,

The 5050 might be under $700 but the 4000 is still about $300 cheaper.
What do you think about the theory - By the time I am up the 5050's level, the technology will have changed and the $300 could go towards a new camera.

Or do you really think that the 5050 is worth getting now?