Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:14 PM   #1

Hi: I've recently started researching digital cameras and from reviews on Steve's site it looks like the C8080 comes highly recommended. Is this my best bet for nature photography? (I like to take close-ups of wildflowers etc. as well as birds so the flexibility of the 8080 sounds good.) Any input / recommendations most appreciated.
newtodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2

Hi: I own a C8080 and it is a fantastic camera. For what you describe, you need to research carefully your needs. Flower close-ups are absolutely top notch; and the swingout LCD screen really helps for those low to the ground flowers. For landscapes, or general photos, it is super, and I love its many features. It is a well built, great handling camera. But it has a big learning curve to really be able to easily remember all the features. Ithas so many adjustment options that it's easy to forget all the tools available to you. This camera is destined to be a classic.

But, for nature photography, I'm not sure it would be what you want. It has an awesome lens, but it is only 5X zoom. I'm not sure that would satisfy you when you are trying for a zoom shot of a bird in a tree, etc. Maybe you would be better served with an E-300 with telphoto lens?? (You can order an adapter from Oly that will allow you to use the Zuiko lens from the oldOM-2 series35mm cameras. Great glass, and you can get good prices on used lens, including telephotos. It would save money over the E-1 system lens.)

One of my older cameras is a C740UZ with a 10X zoom. I really like the long reach of the zoom, but I have never used it to shoot wildlife, so I can't comment on that. But the zoom has captured some wonderful travel shots for me.

(Maybe if you had the money, you could get a new C8080, and buy a used 740 or 750 as a backup camera for those really long zoom shots).

Good luck.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3

Well, one of the 10x zooms like the C-7xx series is okay, but less than perfect for birds, due to the shutter lag. If you're serious about nature photography, I'd suggest you look at a dSLR. The Oly E-300 and E-1 are both fine for those purposes.
Take a look at some of the nature shots over on My Four Thirds or on Lauri Sippu's site.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4

Thanks, Steven and Norm... much appreciated. There's so much info out there, it's hard to know what to do! I checked out your two links, Norm... great photos on both (thanks for that). Now, on with the search.
Gwen
newtodigital is offline   Reply With Quote