Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:01 PM   #1

Default C5050 Review

A new review from DCRP

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...iew/index.html

This review doesn't give me a positive impression for C5050. Jeff said agin and agin "Noisy zoom, image noise, ...." although he said C5050 exceeded his expectation. my understanding is that it's not a good camera. This is much different from Steve's comment.

Is DCRP's reviw appropriate? Can anybody who has C5050 give me an idea? This is because I almost decided to go for C5050 instead of G3 before I saw DCRP's review just now.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
GORDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:48 AM   #2

Default C-5050

Well, I just got it tonight and have gone through an initial check. I own the Oly E-10 and E20n and use them professionally. This camera I bought for my wife to take snapshots of the baby, with the intention of using it when I didn't want the bulkiness of the E- series cameras.

First of all let me say that although this camera is meant for average consumers, I think the average consumer would be a bit overwhelmed. Is there anything this camera won't do? I bought it so I could also use it for serious jobs if I needed to.

As far as noise, it doesn't seem any noisier than the E-10.

The flash blows out the subject at close range. Typical of a point and shoot, but handy when lighting up a room in total darkness.

The specs say it will shoot 30secs of video, but I put a 256MB CF card in it and it had over 750 secs of video time left, so it kept going until I decided to stop it. This surprised me.

I like all the little cute bells and whistles, like little sound bites with the still shots and the panorama.s I could go on and on. This camera is the equivalent of the VCR in the 80s. You know, no one could figure out how to program them. If I didin't already know my stuff I would be completely lost.

The XD piccard is cute too. About the size of a thumbnail, I hear they will be going up to 1 gig in size.

So far, I like it, but I'm biased to Olympus. I think they have the best digicams for the money. I know this probably doesn't help much, but I will post some pics and more details tommorow. Gotta get some sleep!

Later!
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 7:07 AM   #3

Default Re: C5050 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON
A new review from DCRP

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...iew/index.html

This review doesn't give me a positive impression for C5050. Jeff said agin and agin "Noisy zoom, image noise, ...." although he said C5050 exceeded his expectation. my understanding is that it's not a good camera. This is much different from Steve's comment.
You shouldn't make a choice on any single review. Noisy zoom, compared to what? I like hearing the zoom motor on my C-700...I can tell what speed it's going and by how much.

If the "C5050 exceeded his expectation" he must have a very low value of Olympus cameras...anyway, he shouldn't be making judgements before doing the review!!!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 7:24 AM   #4

I like to go to Circuit City to review new products. The problem is that they never can seem to find the media for the cameras so that you can shoot sample shots. I take my own media now and then I can shoot the shots and take the media home to evaluate the camera. I suggest that you might want to try this approach.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:30 AM   #5

Default Good Idea

I like the idea of going with your own card to check out cameras. I have a lot of faith in Olympus and the reviews that I have read, so I bought the camera without checking it out.

About shutter lag. It takes a longer time that I would like to pre-focus, but after that I don't notice any shutter lag after I press the shutter button.

The noise of the zoom lens isn't significant. I never would have even thought to mention it. I just don't think it's a critical factor in a point and shoot.

BTW Scott Blair, I tried to answer your email but it came back undeliverable. Wanna try again?

So far, so good. More later
Old Dec 22, 2002, 5:53 AM   #6

Default C-5050 & Software version

I have seen pictures around on the net from 5050 where Exif/Metadata informs that the Software Version in the camera is v558-76.

I got my 5050 last week. The Metadata (ACDSee) says v558-77.
Would be nice if OLY informed which changes/improvements they've done on theur website.

Maybe I could hope for less noise than Steve's Review stated.

Regards / Lars Martin
z7lmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:37 AM   #7

If Olympus posted details about firmware upgrades, then people will ask for them...here's a question I asked in a chat with Olympus which shows Olympus' attitude toward firmware upgrades and their customers:

Me: Why can't we do firmware upgrades on our cameras; I've done them on computers, CDRs, modems, PDAs, and when going to a Canon page and clicking on a camera link, a window popped up saying there was a firmware upgrade available for free and where I can download it...why not Olympus?

<William Carp, Technical Representative with Olympus America> We feel the opportunity for an error while upgrading firmware is too great and we would prefer the camera be serviced by the Olympus repair dept. This way we can control the environment in which a camera is upgraded and assure that it gets done right without harm to the camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 1:30 AM   #8

Default first few photos

Here are the first few usable photos out of the box. The flash is really strong in P mode. I was all the way across the room using the zoom and the room light was very bright and it still overexposed. I am going to experiment with manual mode and then the FL-40 flash. Until then I have corrected the heavy red-eye and the overexposure and given +10 contrast, and levels correction in Photoshop. The results of both are posted for comparison.

Haven't been able to experiment in the studio yet. Tommorow will be a good day for that. More to come.

www.dotphotopro.com

Search under event: C5050 test shots
Old Dec 23, 2002, 4:25 PM   #9

Noisy zoom? compared to what? it is the dame as all other olies. This is a great camera and i am surprised that the reviewer mentioned it exceeding his expectations. Mike_PEAT was right in that he must have a low opinion of olies.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 9:16 PM   #10

Just a note. I just got a C5050 for my wife who hates my minolta 7i.
I think the camera takes great pictures. What I wanted to say is that if you look at the sample pictures showing the noise in the review noted above. Pan over to the red roof on the right. On the olympus picture I see the details of the shingles on the roof. In the sony picture I only see a reddish blur. Is the sony reducing noise at the cost of detail?
jjgncmg is offline   Reply With Quote