Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 22, 2002, 8:58 PM   #1

Default C-50z "grainy" at SHQ, HQ & SQ1; better at SQ2

After experimenting widely with my C-50 z, I have seen that pictures look "grainy" (e.g. very noticeable artifacts/pixels on people's skin) at SHQ, HQ & SQ1. Strangely enough, image quality seems a lot better at the lowest resolution: SQ2. Is anybody else having the same problem or is my camera defective? After seeing this I wonder what the point is of having a 5 MP camera if the only decent pictures you can get are still 1600x1200 at the most. Am I wrong about this? Is a 1600x1200 from a 3 mp camera "comparable" to a 1600x1200 from a 5 mp camera?
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:00 PM   #2

Have you tried running the pixel mapping routine. Else, welcome to the world of latter day olympus!!

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:33 PM   #3

I have, at the suggestion of some people in this forum, run the pixel mapping option in the camera to no avail. I was wondering whether your comment means that this is a recurring problem in newer Olympus models. I have owned the C-2100 and C-3000 and they always worked great. Could you elaborate? Since I'm returning this camera, your comments will be very useful in deciding whether or not to exchange it for another Olympus!
nora is offline   Reply With Quote