Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 22, 2002, 9:01 PM   #1

Default C-50z "grainy" at SHQ, HQ & SQ1; better at SQ2

After experimenting widely with my C-50 z, I have seen that pictures look "grainy" (e.g. very noticeable artifacts/pixels on people's skin) at SHQ, HQ & SQ1. Strangely enough, image quality seems a lot better at the lowest resolution: SQ2. Is anybody else having the same problem or is my camera defective? After seeing this I wonder what the point is of having a 5 MP camera if the only decent pictures you can get are still 1600x1200 at the most. Am I wrong about this? Is a 1600x1200 from a 3 mp camera "comparable" to a 1600x1200 from a 5 mp camera?
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2002, 8:40 AM   #2

Nora,

A 1600x1200 image is 2 megapixels, no matter what sort of camera it comes from. There's no point buying a 5mp camera and only using 2, so set your camera to its highest resolution for testing purposes.

The "graininess" you describe sounds like noise. Apart from a camera fault, this could be due to your having inadvertently set a high ISO speed (easy thing to do with a new camera).

I suggest you make sure that the ISO is set to 100 (not auto or some higher figure) and retest the camera. Also, try to do your test in good light as long exposures also increase the amount of noise visible.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:16 AM   #3

Thank you Fenlander,

That confirms my suspicions! At first I thought the ISO setting could be the culprit (particularly in Auto mode), so I set it to 80 (lowest in this camera, there's no 100) but I still got the same noise at the highest resolution. All of my shots were taken indoors -various rooms with different lighting- throughout the day, with and without flash, and results were consistently bad, with shots with zoom being the worst (I didn't use the digital zoom, only optical) at the highest resolutions, so I'm concluding there's something wrong with this camera.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:19 PM   #4

Does this model have Pixel Mapping? If so use it whilst the camera is hot. It works for the C730.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:29 PM   #5

Steve,

It does have pixel mapping and I've run it (but I'm not sure the camera was hot). When you say it works for the C-730, what kinds of problems were you having that were corrected by pixel mapping? My camera seems to have a lot of "hot pixels" at the highest resolutions (just learned this from other people in this forum!).
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:35 PM   #6

My 730 was very noisy even at ISO 100. The pictures were dirty/grainy/noisy call what you will they looked awful.

I turned it on and made it work hard for 15 mins by taking lots of pics until it was quite hot. I then PM it 3 or 4 times testing after each PM until the graininess went away. Good job too or I would have sold for another one.

I don't think I have any hot pixels though.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 3:04 PM   #7

Steve,

Where could I upload a sample picture so you could see it and tell me if this is similar to what you experienced or if it's just the quality I can expect from this camera? I've made a crop of the central part of a picture (otherwise unaltered) and it's only 106 kb.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 10:23 AM   #8

Send it via email to [email protected]