Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:35 PM   #11

Hi Nora,
I'm happy things worked out with your C-4000 and you were able to return the C-50 without a problem. Maybe you just had a defective camera (or it was dropped). So, all your pictures are coming out sharp now much better than before with the C-4000? Also, how's the red-eye compare with the C-50? Does the 4000 have an option or 'shoe' for an external flash since I've heard that's the best solution for red-eye?

The C-50 is my first ever 'real' camera other than a Kodak instamatic 25 years ago (black, very boxy looking, not too different in shape actually when I think about it than the C-50). All I've ever used the past few years have been fuji disposables that I pack when I travel, so for a camera I specifically wanted one to replace a disposable in terms of size, convenience, ease of use, and to take pictures that printed to an equal or better quality (those fujis take surprisingly good pictures). All that sold me on the C-50 with 5 megapixels guaranteeing great prints (when everything's working of course). I also like the tiny xD-picture memory cards and the rechargable battery really lasts long (the only thing that seems to run it down quickly is downloading photos to the computer).

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Depending on how serious 'in-the-field' usage of the C-50 works out for me, I may later look for a second slightly less portable camera. So far all I know is Olympus. Do you think they're worth sticking with for cameras all around because I'm always more comfortable going with what I know (as little as that is right now), or do some other brands have better reps in some regard? Thanks!
Kim Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:53 PM   #12

Nora,

I just got a C4000 too. Just got it today. Definitely buy an adapter tube and filter to protect the lens. It will help avoid the dreaded lens smash into the lens cap too! Best of luck.
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:46 PM   #13

Kim,

Red-eye is definitely much better with the C-4000. With my old C-3000 only my daughter's pictures came out consistently red-eyed (she's got very light green eyes), but nothing that couldn't be fixed with software; with the C-50 the entire family (including some people with dark eyes!) always got red eyes (some looking very evil-like), much worser than what I'd encountered with other cameras. When I tried to fix it with my usual software, the red was gone but everybody's eyes looked so unnatural, it wasn't too different from what I've seen other people call "pet eye". Anyway,
theC-4000 is comparable to the C-3000 in terms of red-eye, and it does have the external flash option (I'll look into that in the future).

I find that having something to compare against makes a world of difference (and unhappiness in my case with the C-50!). My nephew got a 3 MP Sony (DSC-P7?) for Christmas and he kept telling me how great his camera was and when he heard I was returning the C-50 he told me I should definitely get a Sony (I have a Sony VAIO) because it was so great (this was his first camera, digital or otherwise). He almost convinced me, he was so enthusiastic. Anyway, he loaned me the camera for one day for testing. It was even worse than what I'd been getting with the C-50! When I showed him some pictures from my old C-3000 he couldn't believe that a 3MP camera could do that (his certainly couldn't). I also road-tested my brother's Canon S230, and even though in general it wasn't bad, I still liked Olympus quality better.

In any case, I'm sure other manufacturers also make great cameras, but like someone said in one of these forums, the fact that a given product is great or really bad does not mean all other products by the same manufacturer are the same. What I've found really useful are all the user comments in the forums, particularly those that talk about conditions similar to the ones I'll be using my camera in.
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:48 PM   #14

Hi Goobie,

Thanks for the tip. I already turned on the camera with lens cap on! All the grinding and beeping made me worry. Do you know where I could get the adapter tube and filter?
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:54 PM   #15

Nora

Go to www.2filter.com. They have excellent replacement tubes. I bought my Kenko tube from them. Very nice people and good prices.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:04 PM   #16

Thank you gibsonpd!

By the way, I've been playing with the settings of the C-4000 to get the best possible indoor shots of my kids. I wanted to ask you if you use (or would recommend) a particular combination of settings for this application. Also, when people talk about "low light", does that include regular lighting in a room at night? (e.g. a bedroom with a 60 watt light bulb on).
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:58 PM   #17

Nora,

Tiffen makes a 41mm to 43mm tube. I got mine at Circuit City. It comes with a second tube for a different model Olympus. The cost is $9.99. I also bought a filter kit which included a UV filter and a circular polarizer for $19.99.

You'll see other adapters that go to 52mm. The nice thing about this tiffen is taht you can use the lens cap that came with the camera.

Later.
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote