Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 23, 2002, 9:08 PM   #1

Default See samples from my C-50 zoom

I've been getting a lot of help regarding my C-50 problems. I made a decision to return the camera early on but that will have to wait a couple of days. In the meantime I've been trying to make it work better. In any case, I've been wondering whether my expectations are just too high (having owned the C-2000 and C-3000) for this compact camera. So I'd like to request your opinions again. This time I've uploaded two sample photos (unretouched crops). They were taken in the auto mode, with flash. These are not the worst examples I've taken but I think they will illustrate my point: my son's skin looks pixelated and pixels are just noticeable all over. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

See the samples at http://community.webshots.com/album/58319812vQUctn
nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2002, 10:44 AM   #2
lg

Nora, check the EXIF data on the photos and let us know what ISO setting the camera selected for these pics. They appear to be at higher ISO, which tends to be more grainy than at 100 ISO. There may be some hot pixels in the second photo on the right on the yellow wall (or perhaps some reflections?). If these are hot pixels, you may be able to remove these using pixel mapping.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 10:52 AM   #3

We need an untouched and uncropped version. Having said that the pictures are terrible. They are noisy and lack depth. They are not unlike my 730 was before I hot Pixel Mapped it.

Look at the interface between the child's face and background, seems sort of fluffy, lacking in detail.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 11:31 AM   #4

8) I have only had one outing with my C50 ( a wedding reception), but I get the impression that we shouldn't expect too much of this little beauty, expecially flash shots. However, my images were better than your samples.

I am most anxious to try it outside, with some good scenery, but that will have to wait until spring. My experience with flash on tiny cameras is that they are mostly good for fill and not much else. I don't expect too much, but certainly want enlargable images outside in decent light.

I am very interested in the experience of other C50 owners.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 1:41 PM   #5

Thank you for all of your comments! What a relief to see that it's not only me who thinks these photos are terrible. I was beginning to think this was all I could expect from the camera. By the way, I've uploaded the original photos, full size. I also checked the EXIF data and sure enough, ISO was at 160 (this camera does not have ISO 100, but 80 instead). I have run the pixel mapping routine several times and this is the result so far. Pictures taken in modes other than auto where I have set the ISO to 80 are just as bad if not worse, by the way. I don't have any right now but will upload a few when I do. Somehow I was hoping this camera to be easier to operate than my C-3000. I thought I could just put it in auto and take great pictures, what a disappointment, so far it's been much harder and I've lost some great photo opportunities.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 1:44 PM   #6

I just got a reply from Olympus:

"Nora

The images look good to me. The back round is a little out of focus because the camera is focused on the subject."

So I guess that's that from them. If I am interpreting this correctly, this is all I should expect from this camera.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 1:58 PM   #7

After I complained about the pixelation in what he thought were good images, this is what the guy at Olympus said:

"Nora

Actually after looking closer at the image I did see some pixelization. If you have any sudden movements and or shake when taking a picture with the camera, it can cause a distortion in the image as the camera tries to adjsut to the movements and redraw the image. The camera isnt always fast enough to do this. The best test is to set the camera down on a solid surface and then gently press the shutter button to capture an image. If after doing this and the images still come out the same, then Id say there maybe something wrong with the camera."

But I don't need this camera to take pictures while set on a solid surface!
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:45 AM   #8

As far as the flash goes, if you cabn turn it down close up it might improve things. I did this for the C5050 and it improved my pics. Keep mesin with it until you determine the best course of action. I couldn't really tell much from those pics you posted. I do feel your pain and I hope you get satisfaction. I'm glad I decided to go with the 5050. I liked the 50 for it's compact size. I hope thing get better for you.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:19 PM   #9

Hi Nora,
Pictures I've taken with my C50 have come out really sharp compared to yours and I was wondering whether your camera had 'locked-in' the focus before shooting. As it says in the manual (and forgive me if you know all this already), you're supposed to first press the shutter button down halfway to allow it to focus. And in addition, you should be watching the green light on the LCD screen (I never use the optical viewfinder). When in focus, the light should be solid green and NOT blinking. If pushing the shutter half way never gets past blinking green then the camera is unable to focus due to low light (sometimes the picture may come out anyway) or being out of the focus range (e.g. too close).
Kim Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:07 AM   #10

Hi Kim,

Having owned two previous Olympus models I knew about pressing the button halfway to lock the focus, but the pictures still came out that way. By the way, the pictures I posted are not by far the worst. I had some (deleted them all unfortunately) that were much, much worse in terms of looking extremely underexposed. Strangely enough, this didn't happen at the lowest resolution. I'm happy to report though, that I returned the C-50 and got a C-4000 (didn't want to risk going through all that again), and I couldn't be happier. The C 4000 might not be as small and 'pocketable' but my priority is good pictures, rather than a very small camera. I really liked the idea of 5 MP in a small case, and loved the look of the C-50, but the pictures just didn't work for me. Since I'm a big Olympus fan, I'm glad to hear that not all C-50s are as bad as mine was. I guess it was just really bad luck!