Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 17, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

I was thinking about buying a c-5000 as it has the remote, hot shoe (I have an FL-20 flash)and 5mp....a rarity on cameras at that price point

But, can a camera that I saw for about 200 dollars at a clearance sale compare to my 800 dollar c-3040 in the following areas

-general photo quality?

-low ligh performance...will it focus in the auto mode if the camera is set at 160iso in a dark restaurant? (I have heard pros and cons on this....my 3040 could take a shot in any lighting conditions always set at @ 100 ISO)

and yes, before anyone says so....I realize the cameras for me are either the c-5060 or 8080...i'm on a tight budget and just saw the c-5000 in a store for 200 dollars...they have 3 left

thanks

gregg

ps....one of my fav 3040 shots

Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 12:59 AM   #2

Hi Gregg: For $200 bucks you can't really lose.

The C-5000 is a competent camera. It never was a big seller with Olympus fans, but that was becauseof it's lacklusterbody design, not it's picture taking ability. It certainly takesgood photos.

You will be going from a 1.8 lens to a 2.8 lens, so low light performance will not be as good as your 3040. But for normal lighting situations, you should get good results. And $200 is a cheap way to add to your camera collection. Go for it.

Nice shot of the butterfly.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:07 AM   #3

hey thanks

I'm watching to see if it drops

there are even cheaper saleson the net

do you own a 5000? if not what are you using?
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

Currently using 4 Olympus digicam models, and 3 Oly 35mm SLRs. Usually use my C-8080, and carry C740 for the 10x zoom.As a long time Oly user, I keep up with the cameras, and try out many models. A friend of mine uses a C5050 and swears by it. I like it also. I had to choose betweenthe C7070 or the C8080. I got the C8080 and I absolutely love it. But your C3040 is also a great camera; while newer ones have higher resolution for enlargements, there are some features (like the 1.8 lens) that are very up to date on your camera.

Good luck.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote