Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 26, 2002, 4:54 AM   #1

Default "out of focus" with night time shooting.

Hello to all! This is my first time here......I am a owner of a Olympus E-20. I am having a problem with night time shoots being out of focus. I do not use the flash. I set the camera on the night time "noise reduction" mode. I usually focus with manual focus. I do not use a tripod if the shot only requires a 2 second exposure.
I have been using the program mode. Any good ideas?
tangodude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:53 AM   #2

Without having actual Exif info to go on, all that can be said are suggestions. First off, anything longer than 1/30th of a second will suffer from camera shake (blurriness), even with the image stabilization...use a tripod or sit the camera down on a steady surface.

Rules about depth of field are the same at night as they are during the day...close down the f-stop a bit to gain some more depth of field, although this will mean a longer exposure time to compensate which could cause hot pixels.

When you focus, zoom into the subject, focus on the subject, and then set the zoom back to what you want for the picture.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:35 AM   #3

Yes, you will defintly need a tripod for shoots that take longer then 1/30th of a second. Being that you just got the E20, you will want to take alot of practive shots getting used to every feature of the camera. And what shutter speeds and apature settings work for what ever conditions you may be shooting under.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:36 AM   #4

As stated already you will need a tripod for long exposure. I would consider a long exposure anything over 1/30th of a second. A 2 second shot is always going to be blurry.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote