Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 25, 2002, 10:39 PM   #1

Default UV Filter for Olympus 3040Z

Somewhere I read that to protect my lens I should purchase a UV filter and just leave it on. At a camera shop they told me I couldn't put a UV filter on y lens...no threads to screw it to. I'm fairly new to digital cameras and just wanted to provide extra lens protection. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. I LOVE my Olympus 3040Z. It exceeds all my expectations!
jgoulet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2002, 1:14 AM   #2

Default uv filter

Hi !

I have a C-3020Z that I also love and I keep a uv filter on it all the time, except if I am changing to another lens like a polarizer.

I believe we have the same threads on our cameras, 41mm, and to use the filter you need an adapter tube. I use a Tiffen adapter which also protects the zoom mechanism from dust and being bumped, as the moving parts are all inside. Olympus also makes an adapter, but the Tiffen works great. This tube also gives you another way to hold the camera.

This adapter increases the thread size from 41 to 43mm. Having the tube and filter on the Oly does make it a bit larger, but I think it looks more professional. It will also allow you to use telephoto lenses and other filters if you wish.

The one compromise of this setup is that because the flash is so close to the lens on these cameras, the tube adapter blocks some of the light and leaves a dark area in one corner when using the flash on some shots. This is only an occasional problem, not constant.

I got my adapter and lenses (also TIffen) at circut city.
The tube was about 10$ and the two lens package was about 25$. Definately worth the cost to protect the precious lens. Mine never is exposed to the elements. I also purchased a new 43mm lens cap online and am so happy it finally stays on my camera, unlike the one from the factory!

I have not noticed any loss of quality from using this combo and because the filter is flat it makes it easier to clean than the convex lens of the Oly, which only occasionally needs cleaning.

Be careful when threading on your tube and lenses as the threads on the camera are plastic, quite small, and easily damaged by cross threading.

I hope this helps you in your adventure!

Happy Shooting,

Jason
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2002, 4:18 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your reply. I have the Tiffen adaptor. I use it with My Tiffen 2x telephoto converter lens. I will go to Circuit City and hopefully they can help me get the correct UV lens. I showed my adaptor to the people at the camera shop and they said it wouldn't work. Hm......I am excited that I will be able to add the UV filter to protect my lens. Thanks again.....
Old Jun 27, 2002, 4:22 PM   #4

Could you tell me where online to purchase the 43mm lens cap? Mine is always falling off. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 11:55 AM   #5

Hi,

I purchased my lens caps on E-bay from americansupply ([email protected]). They have an E-bay store and are quite pleasant to deal with.

The cap itself stays on well although it doesn't fit quite as tight to the camera as I'd like (rocks just a hair), but it does protect the lens and filter from dust sufficiently.

The cap was about 2$ and is plastic with a thick cardboard (textured black) center cover. It did not come with a hole for the tether, so I made one easily with a very hot nail through the plastic. Works great!

I bought three for future use to save on shipping.

Hope this helps, sorry for the delay, I just found your newest post.

Jason
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote