Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:56 AM   #1

Default New to the digital world!

I received an Olympus D550 last weekend as a Christmas gift. So far, my pictures look great, but I'm not real sure what to do with them.

Basically I'm looking for the beginners info for digital cameras. What settings are the best for general picture taken (like I would use my slr for and take the film to Wal-Mart to develop!). I have an HP 722c printer (which I never have been able to get great pictures to print from). Should I get a better printer? What kind?

I want to use my digital camera to take pictures of my kids mainly and I need to be able to print them mainly at 4x6 and sometimes up to 8x10.

Thanks!
DanJoshMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2002, 12:47 PM   #2

Well, first off start with a site like http://www.photocourse.com/ which has a free online "book" on digital photography basics. Also Olympus has some lessons at http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...efault=1&val=6

You may want to get a program that allows you to edit photos like Photoshop Elements (not to be confused with the expensive Photoshop), or one of the shareware/freeware ones, and then hit a website that has tutorials for the program you chose.

As for your printer, I'm not familiar with HP products (I'm an Epson person, but I do check out other brands when I shopped for a printer), but if it's more than 5 years old there's been a lot of changes in printer technology and you may want to consider a newer one.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:26 AM   #3

If you have access to the receipt for the camera (since it was a gift you may not) and it was purchased less than 30 days ago, go to Walmart and pick up an Epson 785EPX for $108 (closeout) and take advantage of the $75 rebate. Check www.epson.com for rebate details. $33 for a good photo printer is a deal!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:19 AM   #4

You can also look at www.shortcourses.com. There are several tutorials that will help you start. The first thing you should know is to press the shutter half way, wait for the camera to autofocus ( a green light will appear in the viewfinder) and then press the shutter the rest of the way. This will prevent out of focus pictures.

The HP 722c will not print good photo quality pics. You could upgrade to HP 3840 for about $100 and print great pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
You can also look at www.shortcourses.com. There are several tutorials that will help you start.
Actually, http://www.photocourse.com/ is done by the same person who created Shortcourses, and it's more complete rather than a small sample of the books for sale.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:31 PM   #6

Mike

Thanks and I will not post the shortcourses web site and refer to the http://www.photocourse.com/ instead.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:45 PM   #7

i was getting lousy looking photos from my HP 882 printer even with expensive photo paper until I changed the settings from plain paper to premium photo paper. Make sure it prints in "Best" quality. It makes all the difference in the world. The prints look great from my nearly 4 year old printer.
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:39 PM   #8

Good point about the Paper setting...if you keep it on Plain Paper the printer won't lay down as much ink because it would soak the paper too much.

Also, your printer may handle special papers more carefully if you select it in your driver...my printer loads on the Plain Paper setting a lot faster then on other settings, and this may cause problems on slippery glossy paper.