Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:45 AM   #1

Default 3040z memory card now only holding 1/4 the pics as when new

I have had this 3040z for over a year now, I tend to run high desktop resolutions so I take most of my pics at 1280x960 or 1600x1200. I got the carmera before I took a trip to Vegas and bought an extra 64meg card to increase my picture capacity, at the 1280x960 setting I was able to take in the Neighborhood of 180pics on the 64meg card. The pics were about 200-300k in size. About 3 months ago I had to send the camera back to Olympus to have the lenses repaired as it wasn't extending. Well I was going to be taking some pics for the holidays and turned the camera on and noticed that it only had 49 pics avaliable. I double checked all of my settings, cleared the card. Nothing has helped. I have gone back and check my old pics and at the same resolution 1280X960 my pics are now 800-900k. I have tried reseting the camera to put it back to facotry default but nothing has helped. Am I doing something wrong, or what could be the problem. I know the card is not damaged as I put in some other cards to test. Any help you guys can offer would be great. I am pretty familiar with the camera, but this one has really got me stumped.

Jay
opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:49 PM   #2

Nevermind everyone.. I finally got it figured out.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:27 PM   #3

Opec

Share with us what you discovered -- Please.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Opec

Share with us what you discovered -- Please.
I didn't share as I feel really stupid after realizing what it was. I have about 4 or 5 different memory cards all different sizes. I know I checked it but apparently I got my 16meg card and my 64meg card somewhat confused. Hey they both has 6's in them, I have no idea how I didn't realize that at first, don't I feel stupid now. But I am glad that I figured it out.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 8:16 AM   #5

opec

I will not mention all of the oversights I have made with my camera. I am sure that all have made mistakes. My biggest mistake was to reformat my camera before I downloaded the pics to my computer.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:14 AM   #6

Be aware......Just like disk drives, memory cards can and do become fragmented. This will slow things down and will result in fewer pix fitting on a card than normal. Since Symantec has yet to market Norton Utilities for Digicams :lol: , the only solution is to reformat the card. In-camera formatting won't do it. It needs to be done at a very low-level. This can only be accomplished by inserting the card into a dedicated card reader and formatting it that way.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:18 AM   #7

I hate to differ with you. But I have seen many times where reformatting a card in a reader can cause errrrrrrors on the card. Post after post in the now defunked Oly E-10 board mentions never formatting with anything but the camera, especially when using Smartmedia. See this link for more info. Here is a relavent passage:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/

Volume 3, Number 11, 1 June 2001

From "the Mysterious Death of Smartmedia"

Cards actually need two kinds of formatting: a physical format and a logical format. Physical formatting lets a number of devices recognize the card. Logical formatting actually permits it to be used as a storage device.

When you format a card in your camera or on your computer, you are performing a logical format. Which initializes the directory and file allocation table and marks out bad blocks.

Cards use an MS-DOS logical format on top of their physical format, either Microsoft's FAT16 or FAT32 structure (depending on their capacity). The universe of formats, however, is rather a bit more extensive than you might imagine (you can format a 3.5 double density floppy in about half a dozen ways for MS-DOS).

So it's wise to let the camera pick the format it understands. Your computer will no doubt be able to read the format your camera has used. But left to its own, your computer may not write the logical format your camera can understand.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 8:24 PM   #8

opec'
There is a setting in your olympus, "reset" should be set to OFF, otherwise evertime you power down you will go to factory default settings.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote