Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 28, 2005, 3:58 AM   #1

Ok finally my C-7070 arrived yesterday boy was i surprised i LOVE it, i am very new to photograpgy and the best camera i've had was an Oly C-3030 so bear with me

i was playing with the bulb setting (since my old IR control worked for this camera this turned out great)even though i am VERY impresse with the results, the photo came out with some small blue dots (posted an example) i don't know it its supposed to do that or if there is something wrong with my camera but this was a VERY low light room, that i tried blub mode on. so any experts could tell me if this is normal in bulb mode or is there something wrong with my camera ( hopefully not, i can't really return it that easy ) :?

anotther question ( i did read the manual but i couldn't find any info on this) i use an XD and a CF card, but everytime the Oly stars it defaults to the smaller (32 meg) XD card, is there any way i can make the crd start with the CF as default? i would like to use the XD cardmainly for panorama shots and the CF which is 1gb for all the rest.

any help will be apreciated :bye:

and sorry for my bad english :-)

Shanti Castillo G.

note that i compressed and croped the image to show those blue dots.

Attached Images

Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 6:51 AM   #2

Those dots do not look nomal to me. I would send that camera back.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 1:56 PM   #3

:sad:

i can't return it i live in mexico i got this on the USA it will be very expensive to send it and get it back

Inoticed that those dots only appear on a VERY LOW LIGHT room, and after around 20 - 25 secods on bulb mode, they do not appear on regular photos, not even bulb photos at less than 20 seconds, so are we sure this is not regular noise??

or should i really start to worry ?

Shanti Castillo G.
Old May 29, 2005, 1:06 AM   #4

If you only get it for very long exposures, it sounds like hot pixels, which happens in all cameras. Google "hot pixels" for more info.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 1:07 AM   #5

Shanti wrote:
Quote:
, is there any way i can make the crd start with the CF as default? i would like to use the XD cardmainly for panorama shots and the CF which is 1gb for all the rest.
Hi Shanti:Go to your setup menu, and make sure that the "all reset" is set to "off".Then your settings in effect when you turn off the camera, will come back the next time you turn on your camera, including which ever card you had selected before turning off your camera.

Check out the following:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c7070.html

http://myolympus.org/7070/#Reviews

I'm not sure that I would worry about spots that only appear after more than 25 seconds of an open shutter. It could be just a color phaseshift of some individual pixels after such a long exposure to light. According to the exif photo data, you had the shutter open on that shotfor 40 seconds at f4.5. You can cut that exposure time down to less than 25 seconds by shooting at your widest f-stop of f2.8. So be sure and use your widest f-stopwhen you are in very low light and can't use your flash.

Shots requiring that much exposure should be few and far between. (If it was a defect in the pixels, it would show upon all exposures, not just the low light ones.)

The C7070 is a great camera, you should enjoy using it. Good luck with your new camera.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 2:33 AM   #6

Thanks!I am happier now thatI know its not a defect, maybeI did left it for 45 seconds,I really don't plan on shooting with the lens open for that long anyways, butI was just testing what the camera could do,I did a search on hot pixels andI found a few interesting links!

Thanks again

Iam really enjoying my camera and learning lot, maybe sometime I will post ome shots

Shanti Castillo G.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:04 PM   #7

Hi Shanti, great to know someone that have upgraded from 3030 to 7070.

I am also looking into the same upgrade, from 3030 to 7070. So far, I must say that I am very happy with the 3030 as a compact camera. Need some hands on advise from you.

1. Is the overall image quality much better when you setto 3 mega pixel resolutions on the 7070?

2. How is the shutter respond compare to 3030?

3. Noise at iso400 compare to 3030?

4. Flash ability compare to 3030?

5. Based on your own experience, is it a Good and very Justifiable Upgrade?

Sorry for asking so much questions and I thank you in advance.
danteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 4:12 AM   #8

danteo wrote:
Quote:
1. Is the overall image quality much better when you setto 3 mega pixel resolutions on the 7070?

2. How is the shutter respond compare to 3030?

3. Noise at iso400 compare to 3030?

4. Flash ability compare to 3030?

5. Based on your own experience, is it a Good and very Justifiable Upgrade?

1.- yes VERY, but to be honest i haven't been able to play with my C-7070 (been rainingin here )but i did a few in home shots, and it was very nice, much better quality than the 3030 for sure.

2.- i found the 3030 very easy on that subject, i mostly just p&s with it and allmost all images come out good, with the c-7070 ineed to adjust a few things before i can do a shot, but like i said i haven't been able to fully tested all of this.

3.- i would have to check that oneout, i haven't even shot an iso400 on my old c-3030 :roll:i am a newbie at photography and just recently did i learned aboutISO, S and A and all that mumbo jumbo

4.- Flash is by far way better than the C-3030 i think it covers a lot more and it lits the whole room with no problems.

5.-I would say yes, it was worth every penny, the c-7070 has SOOOOO mucho more features, more thani can handle, but its nice to have them therejust in case. and fortunately tomorro or another day will be a good one to go take pictures and really make a comparison.

Good luck!

Shanti Castillo G.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:50 AM   #9

Thank you Shanti for your info.

One of my big concern this that the 3030 len is at f2.8 at all zoom range, and the 7070 is from f2.8 at wide and f4.5 at max tele, if I am not wrong. I wander will the background be dark if I will to use it in a restuarant shooting at 90mm zoom, as the f-stop would properly be at f4.5 as compare to f2.8 for 3030.

I basically need a good point and shoot camera. It will be my back up camera and also a walk around camera. I'm also using a Nikon D70, which can be quite bulky and heavy when you just want to shoot photo for a simple outing.

I'm sureyou have did a Great decision to upgrade to 7070.The construction and design is really good. Happy for you.

Happy shooting.

danteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 4:18 AM   #10

thats true for the F stops but its 4.8 not 4.5 anyways, I can probably take same sample shoots tomorrow and post them, tell me what settings would you like me to test and i can try and have some asap

Shanti Castillo G.