Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:15 PM   #11

I wondered how long it would take. Yes, all cards have problems. I will admit that I have had minor problems with CF. That is I have lost single images for one reson or another. I still maintain that the lion's share of problems exists with SM. I would also not be so impolite to anyone as to say that they don't know what they are talking about. I respect your computer knowledge.

When making a descision on media one has to take into account
the overall "picture". No pun intended. Ask youself why it's hard to find a pro who uses Smartmedia. There is a pattern of failure with the SM cards that is very apparent. Again, there will always be individuals who have not yet experienced a failure or who have had an equal failure with CF or who for some reason have not identified the pattern.

But it's not just failures that make CF a better choice. There is the compatability issue that I mentioned and the overall sturdy construction. The enclosed contacts etc...

I sited this article in another post

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/

v3n10 May 18

Notice the title of the article. It is addressing the issue I have mentioned. To be fair, I may point out that many of the precautions and procedures stated here also apply to CF.

I hope whatever media everyone chooses to use continues to work well for them. My goal is not to prove that I am smarter than anyone else or that I jknow more. I just want to pass on my personal observations and as always, I try to back my observations up with other sources, as I have done in this thread.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:52 PM   #12

Card failure % is small to 35mm failure, film did not catch, employee destroyed film that was turned in for developement and last "we cannot find your pics". Life is not really that bad with removeable storage.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:02 PM   #13

Good point Gary...I guess people expect digital media to be perfect because there's no moving parts. The last time I used a perfect computer was....actually, I can't think of one (and I've been working with them since 1980).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT

And before you say something along of the lines that I don't know what I'm talking about, let's just say I have 20 years of computer experience, used to be a technician, and deal with CF problems people have.
Mike,
Been playing with these things since 77, I find that DRM outweigh CF problems. (Dont Read Manuel)
:shock:

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:19 AM   #15

Speaking of 35mm......Having owned /operated a film lab, I know all about 35mm failure, and 120, 220, 110, disc, basically anything C-41 or E-6. It happens to the best of us. I once had a wedding get messed in my machine due to a citywide power failure!

Back to 35mm, I was very pleased when I discovered the 3:2 aspect ratio in the C-4000!!! I set it to that. I guess it's a way of regressing to my youth....back in the 70's when I got my first 35. I just love that format.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:32 AM   #16

I want to buy a pro SLR any brand, with interchangeable lenses. I need a serious camera. What siz e Smartmedia card should I get for a camera like that?
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:03 AM   #17

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman150
I want to buy a pro SLR any brand, with interchangeable lenses. I need a serious camera. What siz e Smartmedia card should I get for a camera like that?
If you get an older model that uses only SM you'll be limited to 128megs max, but newer SM cameras can also take xD, and that has a theoretical maximum of 8gig, much more than CF...although xD was only just created, you should be able to buy a 256meg xD card in a few weeks, and it will only increase.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:36 AM   #19

Well, ok the S1 ansd S2 take SM. My bust. They do everything Olympus does. 4/3 system, smartmedia and Xd cards can be placed in that little machine on the counter at Wal-Mart to upload to the Frontier printer.

I wonder about the Xd. I like the fact that you can fit so much in something so small, but then there are the exposed contacts again. I have a hard time holding on to the XD. I compare it to the size of a human thumbnail. I feel I have to hold it real tight to keep from dropping it cuz I can't feel it in my fat fingers. Quite amazing actually. It stays in the 5050 and I use the cable to download. It was so cool just to be able to hook up to the computer and gowith the 5050. No drivers to install. No fuss. What a pleasure not to have to wrestle the computer to get it to recognize and download my pics the first time. Digital photography just keeps geting better and better. I laughed at all the naysayers. Now I'm teaching many of them digital and photoshop, what little I know. Life is good!
Old Jan 1, 2003, 1:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman150
I wonder about the Xd. I like the fact that you can fit so much in something so small, but then there are the exposed contacts again. I have a hard time holding on to the XD. I compare it to the size of a human thumbnail.
You must have giant thumbnails, as when I think of thumbnail sized memory cards I think of MMC/SD cards.