Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:50 PM   #11

Since we're talking about the C-4000, take a look at Steve's review of it. On the second page (link to follow), a third of the way down you'll see an animation of the Dancraft lens cap. It's a rubber sleeve that fits over the lens housing, and if you extend the lens with it on the lenscap will flip open.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...c4000_pg2.html

It's not something I'd buy myself as I prefer having the tube/filter combination, but it might be something for you to consider.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:38 PM   #12

To Richard Howes....The C-4000 is different from the C-7xx in that the lens cap does not travel with the lens. In the C-4000, the cap snaps onto the tube that surrounds the lens barrel. That portion stays stationary. I will look into the filter adapters. Anyone ever played with a circular polarizing filter with these cams?
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:35 PM   #13

For most of the Oly cameras, a linear polarizer is fine...you only need a circular if when you try the linear one on and the picture goes totally black when turn the polarizer.

I use a generic linear on my c-700 with no probs.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
To Richard Howes....The C-4000 is different from the C-7xx in that the lens cap does not travel with the lens. In the C-4000, the cap snaps onto the tube that surrounds the lens barrel. That portion stays stationary. I will look into the filter adapters. Anyone ever played with a circular polarizing filter with these cams?
Aha... my ignorance is bliss! Just tried to be helpful.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:40 PM   #15

My understanding is you need circular for auto focus cameras.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:57 PM   #16

Only if you have a beam splitter mirror inside as some digital and traditional SLR cameras have (the linear polarizer would block the light getting through the beam splitter). Your standard digital should be fine.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:10 PM   #17

How would you know if your cam had a beam splitter. I thought this was used to remove IR light. I've read something about this but cannot remember the details or where.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:17 AM   #18

As an E-10 owner, I am very pleased with Olympus cameras; however, the friend who turned me on to Oly's with his 3040 mentioned this problem with his camera 2 years ago (he got some sort of aftermarket cover that pops off if you powerup with it on.....and I guess there is a whole cottage industry devoted to these different caps) ANYWAY, I just can't believe Olympus continues to design cameras with this "flaw" unaddressed???? That is really very lame on their part. Had I been in the market for that type of camera, it may have been enough to make me look elsewhere and avoid an otherwise excellent camera. Olympus, FIX this next time around.
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote