Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Power on with lens cap in place

Oops. I accidentally turned on my C-4000 with the lens cap on. I could hear the motor grunting and groaning and then some error beeps. After then removing the lens cap, the camera powered up normally, but the lens extended very slowly. I shut it down and the lens retracted at normal speed. Then I turned it back on and the lens extended at normal speed. Everything seems fine. Presumably, Olympus would take this into account when designing the camera, as it is a very easy think to do. Has anyone else here done this??? Could I have damaged anything???
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 1:43 AM   #2

I know with my C-700 it's very easy to do, so to protect the lens from doing that, dust, and dinging it (some C-7x0 users have knocked their lens out of alignment with a little bump causing the motor gear not to come into contact with the lens thread), I now keep a filter tube and a Skylight filter on the camera at all times (except when doing flash photography where the tube can interfere with the light from the flash and create a shadow).

Anyway, those people who have bumped their lens out of alignment have bumped it back in, and have had no problems since, so if the pictures at both full wide and full telephoto come out clear it should be fine.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 9:15 AM   #3

My previous camera, an Oly 3020 used to simply turn itself off if the cap was on with no strange worrying noises. As the 4000 is the direct replacement for the 3020 I'm surprised it doesn't do the same???
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:36 AM   #4

I have the C4040 and what you described has happened to me also. In fact more than once.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:47 AM   #5

Hmmmm... I didn't the same experience with my C-3020 as Steve6 did.

I've powered my C-3020 up with the lens cap on (also several times) and it behaved just as feetr2c described--terrified me the first time it happened--but seems none the worse for the wear (the camera that is, not me).

jeff
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 4:48 PM   #6

My C-720 also has a tethered lens cap. I make sure I orient the lens cap such that the tether will not prevent the lens from reaching full extension if I forget to remove the cap. It is now second nature - I never have to worry about it.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:01 AM   #7

I do that almost every time I turn on the C5050. So far no problems. Got to get used to these point and shoots.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:26 PM   #8

I solved that lens crashing into lens cap problem by getting some lens armor.

Here's what you get to protect your delicate lens:

1. The Lens Mount Adapter Set for Olympus made by Tiffen (model #00203) from CIRCUIT CITY. It's a lens tube that adapts the 41mm threads to 43mm and allows the lens to extend. DON'T get the Olympus CLA-1 adapter because it is not quite long enough for most of the Olympus cameras -- the lens will extent beyond the tube and still crash into the filter or cap.
The Tiffen #00203 package says it fits the C-700, C-2040/2020/2000, C-3000/3030/3040, C-4040. I bought it last summer for my C-3000 (before the C-4000 and other models came out).

2. A 43mm filter -- hard to find in stores but easy to find on ebay or the internet.

3. A 43mm lens cap -- Also impossible to find in stores around here.

Once you're armored up your lens will be protected and no longer naked to the world. No more lens crash and no need to take the cap off to view or download images.

I first read about this lens armor thing and other Olympus essentials at this website but a lot of it seems gone now.
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:30 PM   #9

I also leave my adapter tube on all the time. I like to add filter lens and my telephoto lens. Keeping the adapter tube protects the lens and quick adaption of the filters and other lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 6:23 PM   #10

You might give this site a look:
http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2..._cap/index.htm
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote