Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 29, 2002, 7:02 AM   #1

Default Major Problem with my D40/C40 :(

I have owned my C40 for approximately 5 months and what I have noticed of late is that when taking a photo the sim card writing light stays on for ages and doesn't stop flashing until I open up the battery compartment. This began happening intermittently and even though I use other Sim cards the problem still persisted. What has now happened is that 2 days ago I went to erase photos on the card and the LCD screen hung as if the camera software had kind of crashed... I tried opening up the battery compartment to reset it but now the lens won't extend at all and I can't get any display on the LCD. The only thing that does seem active is the LCD panel on top of the cam which comes on when I open the lens cover, having said that it displays incorrect information such as no space left on a blank sim card. I have used a variety of sim cards and batteries in the slim hope that these might be the causes but unfortunately they haven't worked.

This is a great cam and I have taken some nice shots with it so this problem has left me feeling extremely disappointed. I have contacted Olympus and they have not heard of this problem. I will take the cam to them so they can look at it, thankfully it is still covered by the warranty.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

I will give feedback when I get the cam back from Olympus... which they say could take upto 3 weeks
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 8:47 AM   #2

Well, I'd suggest leaving the batteries out for a few hours to totally reset the camera...opening the battery compartment for any time less than an hour doesn't do it (even better would be to leave the batteries out overnight. Then see what happens. Note that any presets you've set on the camera will be lost. Then format your cards before you use them (after they've been possibly corrupted from this problem).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 1:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice....

I left the batteries out of the camera for 48 hours without any joy.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 4:12 PM   #4

As promised I am back with the outcome of the problem.

I took it to Olympus and they sent the cam back to me after about 2 1/2 weeks. The problem they said was the power to the mainboard. I don't know fully what this means but anyhow the thing is fixed and back to it's good ol' self. I am a little saddened because when the cam was away for repairs it snowed here for the first time in 9 years... I would have like to have taken some shots of this.... oh well maybe next year.