Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 29, 2002, 1:50 PM   #1

Default Hacking the C-4000

Has anyone figured out how to make their own animated start-up/shut-down screens on the C-4000? I know I can use a still shot, but since Oly made an animated one, it has to be possible.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:17 PM   #2

Did you try using an animated GIF?

How about trying a sequence of pictures with different numbers, 01, 02, 03...

(I have a C-700 which doesn't have this feature so I can't play with it.)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:38 PM   #3

no, see we are not considered smart enough by olympus to do our own firmware upgrades. We need to send our equipment to our great and fearless leaders at oly to do that for us, and my understanding is that they are too involved for such items as personalizing our cameras. They have other, more important things to do....? :evil:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:13 PM   #4

Here's what William Carp, Technical Representative with Olympus America said when I asked about firmware in a chat:

<Me> Q: Why can't we do firmware upgrades on our cameras; I've done them on computers, CDRs, modems, PDAs, and when going to a Canon page and clicking on a camera link, a window popped up saying there was a firmware upgrade available for free and where I can download it...why not Olympus?

<William Carp> We feel the opportunity for an error while upgrading firmware is too great and we would prefer the camera be serviced by the Olympus repair dept. This way we can control the environment in which a camera is upgraded and assure that it gets done right without harm to the camera.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:22 PM   #5

I don't think Olympus' attitude regarding firmware upgrades is unreasonable. Have you any idea how few people relatively speaking are even vaguely computer savvy. If the camera is not broken and the vast majority of their user base is not unhappy, don't mess with it.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:29 PM   #6

Those people wouldn't look out for firmware upgrades in that case.

For instance, I work on my own car...I like to have access to the tools and knowledge to do that work. What if GM (or whoever) said what Olympus said...how many people would take that from them?

My previous car had a problem with stalling at low RPM...I popped in a new chip with a different firmware, and it worked perfectly.

I think what Olympus is afraid of is once people will find out that there are firmware upgrades available and that those people are not capabable of doing themselves that they will ask Olympus to do it gratis.

Anyway, give us the option to upgrade or not!
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:01 AM   #7

I think that Olympus should provide firmware upgrades for users wishing to upgrade their cameras.

This is no big deal, I upgraded the firmware on my son's Nikon Coolpix 880 a few weeks ago. He is 11, and I have no doubt that he can do it by himself - next time I will let him do it!

The only risk is that you lose power to the computer or camera while the update takes place - now why would this be more of a problem to Olympus users than to Canon /Nikon/etc users?
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:37 AM   #8

Quote:
My previous car had a problem with stalling at low RPM...I popped in a new chip with a different firmware, and it worked perfectly.
I had to have my ECU reset to put out an air bag warning light, No alternative but to pay dealer who said ''These things must be tested by us who know best" -and if you tried messing you could immobilise your car!

So you do a cam upgrade and get the dreaded Japanese menus - what do you do next? I'm entirely sympathetic with you guys, but until we can replace some of the SLR film-cam culture with pc user expectations for our cams (including it's just a box of bits that keeps going out of date, instead of WOW its an Oly brand built for life).

Manufacturers will carry on using these tricks to persuade us their product is special, to justify its (high) price. I accept the risk of novices screwing up cams. But imagine an open architecture cam of the future where 3rd party vendors can offer their own user interface - even downloadable shutter sounds!

One day, convergence of features might make cams pretty generic like pc's, which buyers love and manufacturers hate because their markets become very competitive.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:08 PM   #9

I think that it is simply economics.......Olympus both saves money and can increase profits by not allowing firmware upgrade capabilities to the end user. The company also uses this practice of attempting to bind the users to the Olympus brand with the Olympus panorama smartmedia and the upgrade software option to the program that is included with their cameras. Maybe Olympus does not have many firmware upgrades to thier cameras, and who knows, maybe the Olympus chips are not even flashable.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:43 PM   #10

Well, I've seen firmware versions from 74-79 on the C-700, I've seen a similar number of versions on the C-2100...maybe Olympus don't want us to know how many times they've had to fix their mistakes (that's like an update every few months for the C-700).

Sure, Olympus can increase profits by doing the upgrades themselves and charging the owner, but then why don't they advertise that these upgrades are available for a fee if you send your camera in so they can increase their profits even more?

As for saving money, don't know how except for bandwidth charges...actually, it costs them more to do it themselves as people demand it be done under warranty.

If the Oly firmware chip isn't flashable, why don't they just say this...it would stop the bickering here and now (except for those yelling why didn't Oly make the firmware flash upgradable).