Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:56 AM   #1

I am a newbie who, yesterday morning, went out and purchased the Olympus C-725 Ultra Zoom digital camera. I really liked it, but could not come to terms with the finely dotted optical viewfinder. It did have a diopter (I believe that's what it is called) adjuster wheel, right next to the VF, which would allow for image focusing, but would do nothing for that 'peppered' window. I thought that something was wrong with it, and returned it. I then bought the Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom camera, which seems to be a nice little unit. What I am about to now include may seem somewhat strange, but the C-5500 - which is a 5.1 megapixel camera with a 5X optical zoom - did not take as good a picture as the C-725 - which was a 3.1 megapixel unit with an 8X optical zoom. I utilized them both in simple point & shoot fashion, with the C-725UZ (as said above) being the winner. I didn't think to check the specs, but could it be that the 725UZ has a better lens than the C-5500? Or that 'optical zoom' has more meaning & importance than megapixels?

"I am thinking about going back for the 725, or a step or two up in that line. But I did notice (after the fact) that all of those 700 UZ series had that very same peppered, or grainy effect in the viewfinder window. When I later questioned about this, a salesperson explained that it was due to that series utilizing an "electronic" viewfinder - and that the visual noise was characteristic of that, and par for the course. It is not my intention to put anyone down, but salespeople don't always know from whence they speak. And I would just like to know, from you very knowledgable folks here, if that is indeed the case. Even if so, I know that it would take me a good while to get used to setting up shots through such a screen (I don't like using the LCD screen to line up shots), but the camera took such good pictures that it would worth a little effort on my part. Also, please let me know how anyone else feels about these two cameras.

In advance do I thank all.

Nate
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2

Hi Nate,
The Electric Viewfinder on the C-725 is like a small LCD. I had the same reaction to it as you did initially, but got used to it after awhile, and don't notice it anymore.
The lens quality, and Optical zoom, are very important aspects of the quality of photos, but marketing departments do not think that the average person can grasp this, so they settled on megapixels as the major selling point, resulting in, IMHO, inferior cameras.
hth,
NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3

NB,

I thank you much for your response to my query. I am definitely taking the C-5500 back. I found, however, that Office Depot is selling the C-740 Ultra Zoom for $300 with a $150 rebate (until tomorrow night). So, this will be the camera that I settle on - which will translate into $50 less than the 725.

Thanks again, NB.

Nate
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:03 PM   #4

Congratulations! I was just about to post back with that deal. You will love the C-740, I'm sure. Show us some of your pics when you can,
NB
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:59 PM   #5

NB,

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness. I just arrived home with my 740UZ, and am already in love with it. It was a display model (last one that any of their stores, here, had) and I don't particularly buying under such a condition - but I could not beat that deal. I am thinking seriously about purchasing the extended warranty, though (I have 14 days in which to do so).

Just one question for you, my friend: This camera, as you know, features a 10X optical zoom w/3X digital zoom. It has been fed to my understanding that the digital zooming has a tendancy to 'detract' from the quality of photos, and I have been trying to find out how to ascertain when one has stepped out of the optical zoom field, and into the digital zoom realm? I have looked through the very short manual and could find no light to be shed on this subject. The other camera (c-5500) came with a more indepth CDrom PDF manual, and I wonder if maybe there might be such a PDF manual available as a download for the 740UZ.

Blessings,

Nate

OK, I just learned that the reference PDF manual is on the Camedia software CD disk. But I would really like to know about the "Zoom" issue.

Thanks again.

Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:31 PM   #6

Hello Again!
Glad you got the camera so fast! I have a C-750, which is very similar. If the digital zoom is enabled, the zoom line you see in the EVF that has W at the bottom, and T at the top, will have a red upper section. When you zoom into this red part of the line you are using the digital zoom.
Happy Snappin'
NB
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:06 PM   #7

Thanks ever so much, NB ~

You have been immensely helpful.

Blessings,

Nate
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:18 PM   #8

OK,

I put this camera to the real test, Saturday afternoon. One of my daughters had a Tae Kwon Do 'mini class' graduation, yesterday, and I took about twenty shots. I don't know what the deal was, but there were a couple of times when the flash would not activate with shots. There were also a few times when the actual shutter reaction would not sound until a good while after depressing the shutter button. Needless to say, I found that the majority of my shots were not usable, when I pulled them into my computer. I didn't experience this with the C-725UZ, and I am hoping that it is some setting that I, inadvertantly, changed, which is the causative factor behind this. Also (in all fairness to the C-5500 experience which I, earlier, wrote about) it may be proper & fitting that I change the tone of what was previously stated. It could very well have been a setting that needed adjusting, as opposed to something being inferior about the camera itself. I do like this 740UZ, and think that it is a great camera (especially in consideration of the $150 final purchase price). Methinks that I will just have to learn a little more about its usage, before I can expect grand results.

Blessings,

Nate
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:22 AM   #9

You got a fabulous deal on a great camera. Wow!
I enjoy shooting water sport, and wildlife with my C-750, but it takes a lot of practice, a steady hand, good light, and good luck to get good pictures. Multiply your investment in the C-740 by 10, and the weight of your equipment exponentially as well, and you would have a DSLR which would capture every shot perfectly! (Yeah Right...)
Practice Practice, Practice!
NB

Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:43 AM   #10

NB,

Yeah...I think that you've got it 'bout right: practice, practice - and then more practice :-). I have fooled around with this fab little unit, a little more since authoring my previous post, and happened to take a few shots that nearly knocked me out of the chair. They were just that good. So, by this, it is quite clearly given that it is me - rather the camera itself - wherein the problem lies. Maybe in the near future I will have gained enough knowledge & talent by which to upload some nice photos.

Blessings,

Nate