Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash reccomendations for a new C5050 user

I just bought a C5050. I am now looking for a bigger CF card. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is it worthwhile spending the extra money for a 16x or 24x write speed CF card? Will the C5050 make use of the faster write capability?

Is it better to get one big 512MB card or two 256MB cards?

Thanks
Glenn
gboyer529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:33 PM   #2

Ya know that's a darn good question. I had not thought about that when I bought the 5050 last week. I know the E-series can't use the faster cards. I will check on that. Otherwise, I use Lexar as well as Sandisk and a few Compusa cards . I have had very little trouble with any of them. A lost pic here and there. Occaisionally I will get like, lines in the picture and have to reshoot it. It's happened maybe twice out of thousands of pics.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 4:24 PM   #3

Here's a link that may help get an idea:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-card.html

Boy, I wish my E-10 could write as fast as the 5050 :P
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:20 PM   #4

I know! Wow! And a 5 MP file too. Takes about 2 seconds. If only....
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:21 PM   #5

Glenn,
Speed of card mainley comes into play for digicams that are in the TIFF/RAW mode. The added speed also comes into play when using CF for non-photo purposes. For us JPEG shooters there is not diff in speed of cards. Your 5050 should have at least a 32 meg buffer which keeeps flowing in the JPEG mode.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:33 PM   #6

i suggest the 512. i posted a thread a while ago somewhere in the oly forum, in terms of which format writes faster. Try and hunt it down it is pretty informative on some of the links. The sm and xd cards write faster than the cf, so i will only use a very large cf card for in-camera dumping of my xd. this makes my sm or xd a sort of a secondary "buffer".
In terms of gary's comment, the 5050 ONLY SHOOTS IN RAW MODE!!! yeah this is questionable at best- see the camera allways shoots raw, then saves according to the resolution picked. Thats why no matter the set quality, the hi-speed shooting mode will only take 4 shots (even if you set the camera to 640X480).
Now on the aspect of the faster cards: my understanding was that having the controller within the cf cards is what eliminates their theoretical size and speed limit, not the camera; therefore the oly should not be any different than say, a nikon or canon, gioven that the internals are pretty close....?maybe i am wrong, i dont know
hope it helps.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote