Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:34 PM   #1

Default shq or hq

:? hi i am new to this web site but so far i love it i just bought the olympus c-4000 wich is better than i could ever have imagined so far i only have one question is there much of a picture quality difference between shq and hq i just bought a 128 sm card and can hold 50 pics in shq or 145 in hq (3:2 ratio) and was wondering if i will lose much qaulity by using hq mode and getting obviously more pics. how big can i print with my hp5550 in each mode
thanks.
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:04 AM   #2

Well, use the trial and error method, shoot a half dozen pics in hq and then again in shq, view them on your monitor and then, the biggest test, print them out and let your eyes be the judge...personally, I shoot everything in shq, download the pics to my hard drive and then erase the card and start over...for the best image, every now and then I use the Tiff setting, but that is rarely...Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:03 PM   #3

I have not been able to see any difference between the HQ and SHQ on the monitor or when printed on Kodak Ultima Picture Paper. I stick to HQ except for the occasional TIFF.
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:05 PM   #4

I shoot in the HQ mode and receive excellent results. I shot some pics in SHQ and HQ and was pressed to tell the difference.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:54 PM   #5
lg

Ditto on what Gibson said. That's my opinion, but it may be in your best interest to print out the largest size print you ever expect to make and see if you can tell the difference. Then, make the decision on whether anyone else would be able to tell the difference. Finally, weigh the difference in quality of the printed pics against the value of the card holding about twice the number of pics and decide what's more important to you.

As to how big you can print with your printer, I can't say, because I haven't used your camera or printer. Perhaps there are others out there who can assist you with that.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:52 PM   #6

You'll find that your 128Mb card will hold about 70 pics, not 50, despite what the counter says. The number displayed for an empty card is very conservative and assumes about 2.5Mb per picture. In practice, pics usually seem to average out at around 1.8Mb

I'd suggest shooting in SHQ anytime you don't expect to fill the card - it's not that often that you will want to shoot more than 70 pictures, so you have absolutely nothing to lose. If you expect to post-process the results or crop them to any degree, the difference will become noticeable.

Of course, if you expect to need the extra capacity, you can always drop back to HQ.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:34 AM   #7

Matt,
Shoot BIG, just under TIFF. You can always downsize for emailing. Nevercan you upsize and get the print quality after stretching it. Shooting big you should be able to store about 300 pics on a 10 cent CD-R.

Marcoangels,
Why do you reformat after each use? Too many Ludes in the 60's ?

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:16 AM   #8

The difference is in compression and not pixels. HQ and SHQ will use the same pixel settings but HQ uses compression where SHQ uses little or no compression.

Use SHQ mode if you plan to print large images.

Tom
tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_myo

Use SHQ mode if you plan to print large images.

Tom
Also if you are not sure, also if there are people in pic, someone may pass away and now you want to print pic, also why be in the cheap seats when 1st class cost the same.
Just some thoughts,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 9:15 PM   #10

HQ uses 11:1 and SHQ use 5:1 compression which may vary by brand and model but should be close. JPEG compression uses an algorithm so more compression does not have to mean loss of pixels and may not even give a smaller file size under certain conditions, although that would be rare. Point being, I use HQ because I have used TIFF, SHQ and HQ and am hard pressed to tell the difference in any situation even when using large printed output. I agree that if you want absolutely the best chance of reproducing each pixel exactly, then use TIFF at all times. In real life, a misprinted pixel probably will never be caught since there would be no way to tell it is misprinted except under a microscope. HQ and SHQ are in practice identical.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote