Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1

I just bought a 1 GB xD card for my Olympus Stylus 400. I was using a 128 MG card before and it worked fine. With it the camera would boot up in under 3 seconds. With the 1 GB card it takes over 10 seconds which really isn't acceptable for a point and shoot camera. Once it boots is seems to take pictures O.K. but the startup time seems ridiculous.

Has anyone had any experience with this. Now I wish I had just gotten a 512 MB instead...

kinigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:01 PM   #2

I talked to Olympus tech support today and they claim that the camera startup time is directly related to the size of the card. Evidently the entire card is scanned before the camera is ready to take a picture. So a 1 gb card is going to take about8 times longer than a 128 MG card.

I've never seen anything mentioned about the startup time for any digital camera to be related to the memory size. Has anyone experienced similar results?
kinigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

Yes, this is a problem with Olympus camera design. My Stylus 410, which is supposedly using a singifcantly faster processor than the 400, takes ~10 seconds to startup with a 512MB card.

My Sony DSC-T7 I just got, starts up in 0.5 seconds flat with a 1 gig card.

Sony cameras are *fast*. Fast fast fast. Everything about them, every metric you can measure, is super fast. Big change coming from the Oly-- I like the speed!
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote