Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:56 AM   #1

Just bought an mju410. Fantastic little camera. But find it annoying that I have to enable the digital zoom every time I want to use it. Is it possible to permanently enable the digital zoom?

Even if you post a reply here please also send response to [email protected]

Thanks
TrevorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Administrator

If you check the Stylus 410 review here (which is the same camera), you'll find anALL RESET menu choice under the SETUP menus.

Quote:
All Reset
Quote:
- If OFF then current settings are remembered from power off to power on. If ON then all settings are reset to default.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...us410_pg3.html

From it's description, if it's turned OFF, it will remember your settings. So, you may want to give that a try.

Personally, I make sure that digital zoom is disabled on cameras I own (so I don't accidently use it).

Keep in mind that Digital Zoom degrades an image. Basically, the camera is cropping the image (removing the outside edges, leaving the portion in the middle) to make it look like more Optical Zoom is being used. Then, it interpolates the image (adding pixels that were not captured by the sensor, based on values from adjacent pixels), to bring the image size back up to your resolution settings.

Because resolution (like area) is based on width x height, if you crop an image to make it look like twice as much Optical Zoom is used, you end up with 1/4 the original resolution that was captured by the sensor.

Be aware that you can also crop and interpolate an image using software later. That way, you've got more control over the cropping and interpolation process. Personally, I never use digital zoom because of the image degradation --- cropping later with software ifnecessary for the desired composition (keeping in mind that print sizes may be limited because of the resolution lost from this technique).

If you really need more optical zoom, you may want to consider a camera with a longer focal length lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Jim

I did notice that Reset All item in the camera menu but it is not mentioned in the printed manual and I havent yet looked at the manual on the disk (other than a quick scan to find any mentions of digital zoom!).

I appreciate your comments regarding not using digital zoom.

Thanks
TrevorA is offline   Reply With Quote