Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:09 AM   #11

Well, I've had both. Here's my conclusion: HP= incredible prints, slow print time and no 'photopaper' hassles, in other words, you can print successfully on HP, Kodak or Canon paper. Epson= major headaches, too many software adjustments, you
"CANNOT print on any paper but Epson"..also, may I say, that of all the glossy photo papers I've used, Epson is by far, the flimsiest...HP's best is the heaviest I've found, followed by Canon and Kodak...
I've sent back 2 Epson printers in the past 2 years, I don't care who invented the nozzle, or light-fast paper and inks, I want a printer that will give me great results , with minimum effort and expense and no 'magenta cast'...the Hp Photosmart gives 'true to life' prints, albeit 'slowly' and the Canon S820 produces 'borderless', exotic prints, in under a minute...
I hope this post has been of some help to you..Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:15 AM   #12

I use Epson, Canon and Kodak paper with no problem in my epson. Where did you get the idea you couldn't use any other brand of paper?

Good Luck getting heavy stock to feed properly in your 180 degree paper path on the HP. Every other printer on the market will handle paper better than an HP.

Buy what you like, it's your money. I still have friends who can use it. They repair HP's.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoangels
I want a printer that will give me great results , with minimum effort and expense
Only way that HP meets that wuuld be if you went shoplifting everytime you need ink. When I think to 1977, the two companies that have done a real rotten job of writting updated drivers for thier products would be Diamond MM (RIP) and HP (May they join Diamond real soon)
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:44 AM   #14

Hey JBailey, the reason I posted, was because the Epson printers I bought, would not print properly onto anything but ;'Epson papers'
I just returned the latest '$99 Epson Printer' to Officemax, after using up all the ink in the provided cartridges...I would gladly 'extoll' the Epson's, if I could even once, get a decent print from them! I've read so many reviews about how fabulous the Epson printers are, but to me, it's like saying that Michael Jackson's
nose is 'normal'....
'Hallelujiah, and thank God for all we are..!!!!'
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:58 AM   #15

I own an epson 600 and 680. I use various HPs at work. I have never seen a HP come even close to epson for picture quality. HP are better with text though - very close to laser quality.

Refilling epson printers is also easy. I bought 250mls of each colour and use a syringe to refil the carts - works ok if a bit messy but very cheap.

I have tried all sorts of glossy photo paper through my 2 epsons and quite frankly I'm happy with any of them.

All the pictures I've seen through HPs including some high-end models look drab somehow.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:01 AM   #16

By the way if your PC has a PCI slot you can buy a slot-in device called a PCI to USB device. It gives you either 2 or 4 USB slots.

Go to your local computer store and they'll almost certainly have one - not expensive either.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
By the way if your PC has a PCI slot you can buy a slot-in device called a PCI to USB device. It gives you either 2 or 4 USB slots.
Make sure the card is USB 2.0 not 1.1. USB 1.1 is yesterday, but alot still on store shelves. Also win98SE min OS, but better with ME 2000 or XP. Mindless install, power down, card in slot, power up. Perfer the one with 2 slots as USB devices draw thier power through the cable, so run a "powered USB HUB out of slot #2 on PCI card, save slot #1 for printer. with the powered hub its AC adaptor is supplying to power for the devices putting less load on the computers power supply.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote