Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Which printer to get? HP 7350 or Epson 825

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and digital photography. I just bought an Olympus C4000Z and I want to get a printer. The main feature I want is to print without a computer so the printer must have a Smartmedia slot.

Which printer should I get and why? :?:

Thanks!
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:55 PM   #2

To be candid, I wouldn't waste my time with the type of printer that can print directly off a card. Most pictures require some correcting/cropping/sharpening, and I like to see what it looks like in the computer before sending it to the printer.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:06 PM   #3

Mike_PEAT,

My computer is old, running Windows95, so no USB support. I plan on getting a new PC later this year so I want to limp along and print direct from Smartmedia card for now.

Ignoring the addition of a card reader, which printer is better?

Thanks
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:53 PM   #4

The old die hard Epson fans will say to go Epson. I have had Epson. But I now like HP. It's highly unlikely your eyes or anyone else's will be able to tell the difference between print comparisons among samples from each of the available photo quality printers. All excel at what they do best: print photos. So why did I go HP? Well....I like it that when I change ink cartridges, I am also automatically getting a brand new set of print heads at the same time. Epson printers have the print head as an integral part of the printer, not the ink cartridge. I have seen several instances of Epson printers getting clogged print heads, requiring the printer to be returned for service. Also, I like HP printers in that once I hit that switch to turn them on, I am ready to print. With the Epson printers, you must put up with a 2 minute period of shenanigans that the printer goes through before it will let you print. I find it annoying.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:09 PM   #5

Well, that "2 minute period of shenanigans that the printer goes through before it will let you print" is very rare...it's not like it's every time you go to print, maybe once in 20 prints. Doesn't the HP ever clean itself?

Although I do take a close look at every printer's output before deciding on one, I still like Epson the best (even with the printhead situation).

I did have a clogging problem, but that was after many years of use, and it was time for a new one anyway...plus the clog was caused by me trying to refill the inkcartridges.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 6:56 AM   #6

I would go with the Epson line for one simple reason......cartridge costs!!! Everything else being equal, THIS is where your deciding factor should be and Epson cartridges are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than HP ones. Why? Specifically because they DO NOT include the print head. I've had Epson printers my last 3 printers and I've never experieced a clogged print head that didn't clean using the Print Head Cleaning Utility. (you can reduce the occurance of this in ANY printer by turning it OFF when not in use so that the print head "parks" and is covered to prevent drying out.)

You will save enough in consumable costs to pay for the printer and then some in you print a significant number of photos. I have the 785EPX which also has the card reader (although I've never used it for the reasons Mike_PEAT stated). I just replaced my color cart with a genuine Epson from Staples for $20......HP color carts generally run nearly twice that....ouch!!! Of course you can get even cheaper aftermarket carts, but I wouldn't recommend them for serious photo printing.

Also EPSON has gotten EXCELLENT reviews with their newer photo printers......I don't think you can beat their output dollar for dollar (tie maybe, but not beat).
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:33 PM   #7

Epson uses a Piezoelectric printhead which in theory lasts forever. Mine is four years old and working fine. The key to keeping the clogs away is to print, print and print. The worst thing you can do with an Epson is let it set for a few weeks. You will get a cleaning cycle of 15 or 20 seconds if you don't print often (never two minutes).

HP uses a thermal printhead (which was invented by Epson), which will is VERY unreliable, that's why you get (and pay for) a new printhead with each cartridge. People who refill HP cartridges will usually get a couple of refills worth of printing, but the head will stop working one nozzle at a time and have to be replaced with a new HP cartridge at $25-$45 each time.

The clogging "problem" can be prevented and it is easy to repair. If you should have a clog that cannot be alleviated by the normal cleaning routine, all you have to do is unplug the printer, GENTLY slide the printhead assembly to the left, locate the cleaning pad which is under the park position and apply a few drops of windex to the pad, and slide the head back to the park position. Let it soak overnight and in the morning you will have a "new" printer.

I have been using PrintRite brand cartridges which sell for $2.58 for Black and $4.18 for Color per cartridge at www.007ink.com. The cost of operation is so much less for an Epson (or certain Canon models) and the quality is top notch. Why would anyone consider anything HP?
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:16 PM   #8

Goobie...

In spite of all the pro Epson views here...I say go w/HP.

This is why:

I have had three HP deskjet printers...(currently 990cse) for
which you can get a large capacity color cartridge btw.

All are still working including HP 560 and 870CSE.
HP makes DURABLE printers, deskjet and laser.

Go HP!

If you ever do tech support on laser printers...a common
question is....What HP printer is it supposed to emulate!

Nuff said.

Regardless of what printer you choose, go with a warranty
for it. It will cost you about $30-40 for three years.

Also, whichever printer you choose, be sure it is a top of
the line. Do not go w/an economy printer cuz the print
drivers (software that drives printer) will also be of "economy class".
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
If you ever do tech support on laser printers...a common
question is....What HP printer is it supposed to emulate!

Nuff said.
Printer Emulation? I believe most people use Windows these days, but if you are still using DOS, which EPSON printer will my Dot-Matrix or InkJet emulate?

It's a matter of who came first. HP was first with Laser Printers so those who came after emulated an HP. Epson came first with Dot-Matrix and those who followed emulated them. It doesn't mean either was best, just first.

Windows solved the problem of each DOS program providing it's own print capabilities with what is called a print driver. You can hook any brand printer to a windows machine, load the driver and print from any windows program.

Notice I said Windows and not IBM. IBM compatible came into use because they were first, doesn't mean they were best.

I did repair printers for a few years, and that is another reason I never bother to look at HP, but that is another LONG story!

Nuff Said![/quote]
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:44 AM   #10

Even my handheld has HP and Epson drivers built in...neither is better, just different.

As for the extended warantee option, that's a WASTE of money...for the cost of it you can put it toward a better printer that's faster. I could have got my last printer fixed, but it was cheaper to get a new one that was a lot better and faster.

You (digicamfan) say that your HPs are durable, so why would you want to waste money on a warrantee you don't need?

All it is, is money in the store's pocket, and when you do take the printer in for warrantee repair, 99% of the time they won't cover it as they will claim it's misuse and void the warrantee!