Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:55 AM   #1

Anyone got any tips on macro focusing? I've been trying like 50 shots, and all of them look sharp on the LCD but on my PC damn they are almost allblurry

Maybe its me, BUT, should it be this dificult to focus on macro?

since i find autofocus on low light being REALLY bad on this camera, maybe the Supermacro also has troubles ?

take this for example, when i took this picture on the LCD it was a VERY nice picture, but on my PC well you see the results

any tips on how can i improve the LCD for macros?

Attached Images

Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

Hi again Shanti: I can tellthat youare giving your C7070 a workout!

Looking closely at your photo, it seems to me that the focus is slightly in front of the insect. Notice how sharp the little green hairy parts of the plant just in front of the flower? There was no exif info, but it seems that the insect has some motion blur; was the insect moving?

Try this exercise: manual focus to a very close distance. Then very slowly move your camera back and forth, closer and farther from the subject. Study your LCD and get familiar with the change in focus as it appears onyour screen. Also, for macros, make sure you are shooting at smaller f-stops for better depth of field. However, if a breeze is blowing, go for the highest shutter speed possible, as movement is magnified up close. Sudy your manual to check the actual macro range of the camera, and be sure that you are staying within that range. And be sure to shoot in bright lightif possible, especially if you use the auto focus for a shot.

Above all, practice, practice, practice!

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:14 AM   #3

Yep i am loving my camera except for the practice part :P

Iam going to try those tips tomorrow, the insect was not moving, and likeI said maybe its me, but will try to master focus on "still" objects and see how my LCD acts up.

I have however gotten some nice photos (probably by chance) like this one of a flying bee aproaching a flower (or at least i think its good)

Thanks for the tip, will probably bug you some more, or show you more pics later

Attached Images

Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:28 PM   #4

Shanti: that's an excellent bee shot!Looks like a 747 coming in on final approach to the airport. Good work.

Be sure and share your photos with us. You live in a very photographic area. You must have a ball shooting the ocean and shoreline, when you are not doing macro.

Have fun with your camera.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5

hi shanti, i am back from my holiday. Must say the C7070 is a GREAT camera. Super resolution at iso80, super sharp, Mirco and super micro is unbelieveable. Still trying to find time to read the manual and hope to improve my shots.

For you trouble in micro, try using manual focus if you are very close to subject.

Would like to share a mirco shot with you. But how to post pix????:?:?
danteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6

Hi shanti,manage to post some micro. thanks for your advise for this camera. It is a Great Camera. Will post more pix when I have more time, as I need to go thru the manual. hopefully will get some tips from the manual to improve my humble shots.
danteo is offline   Reply With Quote