Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:11 PM   #11

Thanks a lot, you've helped me to see that there are other flashes out there that are good too. I am going to stick with the FL-40 because Olympus makes good cameras and I will probably get an E-20 sometime soon.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:34 AM   #12

Cheese,
I have an E20 and a FL-40 flash. I bought them as a package, used, along with the off-cam bracket, portrait grip, power battery pack, etc. I don't have a lot of experience with flash photography, and most of it before the FL-40 has been bad. Inconsistent results, washed out foregrounds and dark backgrounds, etc.
The FL-40 makes me look like a pro! I set it at 60 degrees (recommended for bounce) and also use the built-in flash for foreground fill. I get consistently perfect, uniform exposures. I don't know how it will work on the 5050 or other Oly cameras, but it sure works great with an E20!
Bert
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:59 AM   #13

I purchased a Metz 34MZ plus the appropriate SC3202 adapter. I chose this over the FL 40 and other Metz models due to it's unique profile that makes the package a little less top heavy. (plus I had a philosophical problem with paying way too much for what Oly seemed to design as a proprietary system). Little lower GN, but plenty for my flash applications, full TTL compatibility and motorized zoom head.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:03 PM   #14

Yeah, the FL-40 looks good. I decided to buy the FL-40 because I will always use Olympus cameras and will probably buy an E-20 soon enough. Thanks for all the opinions peeps, it really helps me to decide on what to do because all of you have been there.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:04 PM   #15

Arno,
You're right about top-heavy if the FL-40 is mounted on the camera. With the off-cam bracket, it's not a problem, though. It's a nicely-balanced package. Expensive, though. I probably would not have bought it new. I was fortunate to know a guy who sorta collects cameras, and goes absolutely first class on accessories, so I got a screaming deal on the whole package. I'm usually not lucky that way. My luck was good, for a change!
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:13 PM   #16

I was using the FL-40 on my 5050 and got blinking shots on every pic. I went back to using the onboard flash, but I changed the flash intensity down 1 stop and turned off the reset. Now the pics aren't overexposed when we just pick up the camera and take a quick snap on Program. Much better results. Before everything was blasted out and I don't even want to talk about red-eye.

I have one for each E-series and they both have lumiquest attachments. This adds even more softness to the light. Try it.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:44 AM   #17

Does the 5050 use the TTL mode with the FL-40?
I don't use the FL-40 for direct flash...only bounce. I set it at 60 degrees, which is optimum for bounce, according to the manual. I use the onboard flash also for closeup fill-in if I have subjects in the foreground. I use the red-eye elimination mode for the flash, which emits a series of short flashes before the main flash. I get absolutely no redeye with this method. And, I get perfect, uniform illumination with no closeup washout.
EDIT: What's a lumiquest attachment? Is that the plastic shield that clips onto over the flash head? I leave that on all the time. I like the way it diffuses the light.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 8:51 AM   #18

I've never used red-eye reduction before. My concern is that it would cause too much delay before the shot was taken. Is this a legitimate concern?

Yeah that's one type of Lumiquest. The lumiquest that i have is a little attachment that goes on top of the flash that you bounce the flash off of. I used to use regular bounce flash and still do sometimes, but then I realized that I was losing too much light and at the time I had a really slow zoom lens. When I use the lumiquest I aim it so that it's flat to the subject rather than 45 degrees because sometimes there is a problem with lens flare even if the flash is on a bracket. I find the light is more concentrated with the lumiquest. It's in between direct and bouncing off a wall or cieling.

I beleive I read an earlier post that said that the FL-40 does not use TTL. I'm still learning the cameras capabilities.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:09 AM   #19

I just received my FL-40 in the mail. It works great and yes it does use TTL. It communicates with the C-5050Z quite well and my pictures are a lot better now, especially those of people. The bounce flash is awesome and the flash is very powerful. I am glad I bought this flash, it does wonders with the C-5050Z!
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
I beleive I read an earlier post that said that the FL-40 does not use TTL. I'm still learning the cameras capabilities.
Quoted from the FL-40 manual:

"The TTL-AUTO and R-TTL-AUTO modes can be used only with digital cameras which are capable of data communications."

I agree with Cheese...it's a fantastic flash unit...pricey, but worth it.
The redeye reduction mode delays the shutter by about one second. That could be a problem if you do action photography, but I have been using it with both the Nikon and the Oly for quite a while, so I'm used to it.