Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Screen Res vs Print Res

Ok I did a Highest possible quality SHQ 3:2 pic on my C-4000. I plugged in the USB cable and loaded the pic into Photoshop 7 directly from the cam. Image size in Photoshop is 31.778 x 21.111 inches at 72 dpi. I then cropped a 4 x 6 inch section of that photo and printed it on my HP photosmart 7550. I did NOT resize the image or change the default screen resolution of 72 dpi. The print came out sharp and beautiful. Then I converted the image to 300 dpi and printed again. I saw absolutely no difference between the two prints. How is it that I can print a 72 dpi pic at a HUGE 21 x 31 inch magnification and have it look so sharp on the print???????
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:26 PM   #2

It's the total number of pixels that matter. Your screen resolution is immaterial when it comes to printing. How did you measure your 6x4 inch crop?
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:34 PM   #3

Default Answer for Mr Howes

I have view rulers enabled. I dragged in guides from the rulers measuring 4x6 and then used the cropping tool to select the area inside the guides. I had 'snap to' enabled, so the crop tool would accurately snap to the guides. Once done, I dragged the 4x6 crop frame to the precise area of the frame that I wanted cropped. Finally, double clicking inside that frame cropped the image, leaving the original magnification still intact.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote