Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:59 PM   #1

Default Sharpness of images - 730UZ

Hi all,
Have a question that I'm sure you all would be able to help me out with. I was lucky enough to get a 730UZ for xmas. I thought I could figure out the functions and all, but my images are not as sharp as they should be. I'm totally new to digital cameras, well, all cameras other than point and shoots, so this is frustrating me..
What should I be looking at within the menus to sort this out? Or do I have a bum unit..?
I've been taking a mix of images, from close-ups of my fish, to landscape. Have noticed that the focusing of this model is very sensitive to movement. Even when left on the sport mode it still gives me blurred images if the subject moves, which is often when snapping pufferfish..

Would be grateful for any tips and advice.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Alvin
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 1:42 AM   #2

Sounds like slow shutterspeed in low light. Try using flash. Remember the old rule of thumb about handheld shutterspeeds, too. The shutterspeed should be the same as the focal length, the 35mm equivalent, that is. So at the longest telephoto zoom setting, you need a shutterspeed of 1/350, whereas at the shortest wide angle zoom setting, you can get by with 1/30. In low light, stay at the short end. To freeze subject movement, use flash.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 8:00 PM   #3

i have the c700 and am having the same problem , almost all my pics look horrible , alot fuzzy and alot dull not sharp at all .
hdshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 10:58 PM   #4

You've got to post them with the Exif info intact in order to see where the problem lies. A site like Pbase.com is a good one. We can only guess what the problem is without seeing your pictures...most of the time though the photographer will get the blame without seeing them, so it's best to post them.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:01 PM   #5

As for C-7x0 pictures in general, I find that using a little bit of the unsharp mask in a good photo editing program (like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Corel Photopaint, etc.) improves the pictures a lot.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:25 PM   #6

Had the same problems with the 730 I had.. I was forced to run it through thumbsplus and do a sharpen on it.. I bought a C-4000 and was much happier... 730 has some major issues in my book.. grainy photos, noise, poor focusing, and it needs ALOT of light. better for outdoors, indoors it is terrible..

C-4000 outshines it if you are an everyday photographer and don't feel like playing with settings to take one photo.. see my comparison here: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6256

-t
wdwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:56 PM   #7

I've done OK with my C-700 in lower light levels, as long as I don't zoom in tight. If you zoom in more with the C-4000, you will also have problems as with zooming you are letting in less light.