Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

just lately when useing my 8080wz outside it has started to ask for the flash to be used when the light seems to be good and its a bright afternoon, it is not asking for it on every shot but it is on some, and also when im taking close up, macro shots outside, i cant say i ever noticed this before. is this something to worry about or s it my imagination ?

the only thing i can think of that might have coused something to happen is that afew weeks ago i went to belgum for a weekend trip and on the last day i was there is was raining but there were some celebrations happening and things i wanted to take pictures of, now the camera did not get "soaked" but it did get wet, could this have done something to the workings, im thinking if it was something to do with getting wet then the camera wowuld not turnon at all or it would not take a picture anymore if it did..

any ideas what might be happening ?
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:51 AM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure you didn't change any of the camera's settings (for example, selecting a low ISO speed, versus letting the camera increase it as needed via Auto ISO)?

Did you add a filter of any kind? For example, many Polarizers will cost you 1 or 2 stops (2 to 4 times as much light reaches the sensor without a Polarizer).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

im sure i havent changed any settings, the only filter i have on it is a cheap Hama Skylight Filter 58mm, it cost me about £5 from amazon, you can see it here >>click me<<
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:45 PM   #4

Hi,

This mostly happens when you're using the "Auto" (P, Portrait, Landscape, etc.)modes, and ISO is set to AUTO. I've noticed that AUTO ISO tends to select ISO 50 most of the time.

Also, when a subject is strongly backlit, the AUTO mode places priority on the subject, so the flash is used tofill the front.

Having had my C8080 for only a week now, I haven't had time to play with the different metering (Which I suspect is the main culprit) and WB options.

I works fine most of the time, but I would take the shot with and without flash, see the below "rough" samples taken seconds apart from a window. Here is without flash. Auto ISO at 50, hence the handheld motion blur....
Attached Images

blankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:48 PM   #5

and here is with flash......massive miss!!!"Auto" ISO still at 50...
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

I got muchbetter handheld results when I bypassed Auto
ISO and upped the ISO to 100 and 200 myself