Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Olympus C5050 Lens Protection

I am going to buy a filter adapter ring to protect my C5050. The 2 different models I have looked at are the Tiffen 41-43 MM(olyc3000ad) and the raynox 41-52 mm(RT5241). I do nat plan to add on any lenses other then filters. Has anyone had any experiance with either of these? Also any comments on any other adapters are welcome.
jjgncmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

I've got the Tiffen 41-43mm tube and Tiffen UV filter. They work great and did not cost a lot. I bought them at Circuit City. I have the C4000Z. The adapter tube came with two in the package. One for the C400Z and one that fits a C730UZ. The tubes cost $9.99. The UV filter came packaged with a circular polarizing filter for $19.99. I looked on ebay and 47th st photo has Hoya filter set and a adapter tube for $39 starting bid.

I sleep better, knowing that the lens on my camera is protected. It's well worth it.
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:54 PM   #3

i use the oly cla-1, but knowing what i know now, i would go for the tiffen. Unlike the oly, it is a cone, and the wider front beats vignetting at the wideangles. Plus, you will have an easier time finding 52mm filters than the smaller ones.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 6:57 PM   #4

I have the kenko 41mm to 52mm. I also have the Raynox Pro1850 telephoto lens which works with the kenko tube. Go to www.2filter.com. These folks have good prices and are very helpful.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
i use the oly cla-1, but knowing what i know now, i would go for the tiffen. Unlike the oly, it is a cone, and the wider front beats vignetting at the wideangles. Plus, you will have an easier time finding 52mm filters than the smaller ones.
The olympus unit causes vignetting at the wide settings? Yikes, I was just about the order the CLA-1 from B&H Photo. Is this problem because of the small change in size (41-43mm) on the CLA-1 vs. the other tubes which seem to be at (41-52mm)?

Does the 52mm size block the viewfinder of the C-5050z?

Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:05 PM   #6

gibson:

Any feel for the Kenko KUT-500 5x? I'm thinking about buying a teleconverter. That and the Raynox are roughly the same price, but a big difference (1.85x vs. 5x).
Necron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:14 PM   #7

I did some research and the decision was not to buy. The folks at www.2filter.com said that I would not be happy with it. The optics do not match up well with the camera optics. I really would have liked it to work. The Raynox Pro 1850 has really produced some quality photos for me.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:03 PM   #8

the cla-1 doesn't cause vignetting by itself, but if you add a filter to it it definately does (which begs the question, if the cla-1 was designed NOT to have any filters on it, whats the point??).
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 5:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I did some research and the decision was not to buy. The folks at www.2filter.com said that I would not be happy with it. The optics do not match up well with the camera optics. I really would have liked it to work. The Raynox Pro 1850 has really produced some quality photos for me.
Hi Gibson,

I've seen the Raynox Pro 1850 on several web sites but have yet to read a review of it. Does it cause vigneting at wide angle settings? Or do you need to be at full zoom for the teleconverter lens to be useable? What's the minimum zoom settings that the lens can support without vigneting?

I'm from the Philippines and has only seen the TCON-14 (which I think is not enough for my needs, despite the reported high quality of the Olympus brand lens) in shops here so I have no way of testing the Raynox or any other brand (such as the ones from Tiffen and Kenko). I'm planning to order the Raynox over the Internet and I would appreciate any advice from you. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Norman
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 7:56 AM   #10

Swordfish

Yes the Pro1850 will cause vigneting at wide angle settings. I can zoom to half way and the vigneting is not a problem. I have posted some telephoto shots at www.pbase.com/gibsonpd click on the tele photo shots album.