Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Teleconverter or Zoom?

A recent trip to Mexico shooting Mayan ruins and wildlife with my Canon SLR has convinced me that when I buy my first digital I will need at least a 200-280 telephoto.

I'm struggling between buying the Oly C5050 (3X optical) or the Canon G3 (4X optical) and adding a teleconverter, or going with something like the Nikon 5700 or the Fuji S602Z (I don't like the EVF on the Olympus 720 & 730 zooms) with built in zoom lenses.

Unfortunately, the Nikon and the Fuji lack many of the features of the G3 (e.g., AF assist, remote, powerful battery, panorama stitch). And WHY did Nikon design a camera without the ability to add filters? But the Nikon has a superb EVF; best I've seen.

My questions are: Will the quality of the Oly or G3 with a 1.5 teleconverter be that much poorer than the Nikon or Fuji with built in zoom lenses? Will the 5MP capability of the 5050 make up for that loss of quality caused by the teleconverter?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:42 PM   #2

For the Nikon 5700, you get what's called a filter adapter tube, and you attach filters, converters to it rather than to the lens itself...it's not good to attach anything heavy to retractable lenses (I keep a tube and a Skylight filter on my Oly C-700 at all times except when doing flash because of possible shadow). Anyway, most people don't add filters to their digital camera.

Well, you can get optical viewfinders on my Oly cameras like the new C-5050, but they improved the EVF on the C-730 from the previous models.

You can find tubes for the 5700 (and other digital cameras like the Olys) on this page:
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html

If you haven't already, read the reviews on Steve's Digicams, that should help you decide:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
For the Nikon 5700, you get what's called a filter adapter tube, and you attach filters, converters to it rather than to the lens itself...it's not good to attach anything heavy to retractable lenses (I keep a tube and a Skylight filter on my Oly C-700 at all times except when doing flash because of possible shadow). Anyway, most people don't add filters to their digital camera.
Thanks, Mike.
I only want to put a UV filter on to protect the lens, and as I pointed out above the zoom lens extends beyond the tube. Someone suggested putting on a cheap filter with the glass removed and then adding a second filter on top of that in order to get out beyond the zoom lens. I guess it might work, but I'll have to try it in the store first. Downtown Camera on Queen is pretty flexible about that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Well, you can get optical viewfinders on my Oly cameras like the new C-5050, but they improved the EVF on the C-730 from the previous models.
The 5050 doesn't have the zoom I need, ergo the question about a teleconverter. As for the EVF on the 730, it's very jerky compared to the 5700, but as I said earlier the 5700 doesn't have all the features I'm looking for even though it's a more expensive camera.

I've checked out several cameras at Downtown Camera and Adens on Yonge, but there always seems to be a compromise somewhere. How do you get telephoto shots with the 700?
Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:15 PM   #4

Dano,

I don't know if you've found the solution for your dilemma, but check out my recent posting (1/18/03) regarding using the Tiffen 2x telephoto lens with C-4000. The setup I described works exactly the same with the C-5050, as both have 41mm thread on the lens housing.

Here is the link: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6584

Hope this helps.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 8:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun
Dano,

I don't know if you've found the solution for your dilemma, but check out my recent posting (1/18/03) regarding using the Tiffen 2x telephoto lens with C-4000. The setup I described works exactly the same with the C-5050, as both have 41mm thread on the lens housing.

Here is the link: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6584

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Hyun. I checked out your photos. It seems like there is a lot of vignetting in the telephoto shots with the Tiffen, or am I wrong? I'm also thinking that if I have to put on and take off a teleconverter all the time, I might as well go for the extra zoom of the Nikon 5700 or the Sony F717. What do you think?
Old Jan 19, 2003, 8:25 PM   #6

Dano,

The Tiffen setup that I have only produces vignetting when the optical zoom on the camera is set to anything less than 3x (maximum). At 6x (3x on camera plus x2 on Tiffen), there is no vignetting.

This works well for me, as the only times I'd want to use the telephoto lens is to capture distant objects at maximum zoom.

I know what you mean about putting it on and off all the time--I have a feeling that most of the times, I'll leave it off. But it sure will come in handy when I need it.

The Nikon 5700 (8x optical zoom) and the Sony F717 (10x optical) are VERY NICE, but rather out of my price range. I had the option of going for C-5050 barebone (I'd have loved that f1.8 lens!), but decided to settle for C-4000 and be able to afford a bunch of stuff (Tiffen setup, photo printer, extra memory, etc.) that I otherwise couldn't have. I figure with my C-4000, I got 80% of the C-5050 features for 1/2 the price (well maybe 75% ). If you can afford either the Nikon or the Sony, then by all means, their built-in optical zoom would be a much more elegant solution than using something like the Tiffen setup. It's a "poor-man's solution," but one that I'm happy with.

I had the opportunity at a local CompUSA store to handle the F707 (10x optical--the older model of F717), which has similar body style. I wasn't too keen on the size of the camera--the zoom lens housing is quite long. On the other hand, the lens zooming was very responsive and the auto-focus was sharp. It was $700, which took me back to the "camera-and-nothing-else" vs. "cheaper-camera-and-other-accessories" dilemma.

I'm just an amateur in this, so I can't answer your questions re: quality of pics when using and not using telephoto lens, etc. Sorry!
Old Jan 19, 2003, 8:34 PM   #7

Hyun:
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the cost vs features dilemma; I'm in the same boat. But I'm planning a once in a lifetime, round-the-world trip and I want to take the best camera that I can afford.

The Sony does feel a bit awkward. However, when I thought about it, the size wasn't that much different than my current Canon SLR. But it does, apparently, have great resolution, THE best battery, 5MP, 5X optical zoom and great low light (in the dark actually) focusing.

The Nikon 5700, on the other hand, has more noise, poor low-light capability and a poor battery. But it's cheaper, smaller, and uses CF cards. Tough decisions ahead!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 1:16 AM   #8

Hi Dano,

A couple of places I checked (Amazon.com and B&H Photo) had the Nikon 5700 at $1,200 vs. Sony F717 at $1,000. Are there actually stores that's selling the Nikon for cheaper than the Sony?

Indeed, tough decisions ahead. Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:39 AM   #9

Best price I've seen for the Nikon 5700 is $1,350 Canadian vs $1,499 Cdn. for the Sony. But I haven't really shopped around for a cheaper price on the Sony yet.

Dano
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:05 AM   #10
NHL

Dano

You might want to check the 7i also which is several hundred $ cheaper than 7Hi without giving too much away. This camera also take CF flash, but use AA NimH rechargeable instead of the other two proprietaries and is perfect for the microdrive... It also has the widest 28mm which let you capture more of a scene, but if you are into long zoom (ie capture less) or hate the silver color then the D7i is not for you.

May be you missed this...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...highlight=sony
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote