Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:09 PM   #1

I have a Fuji F10 as a pocket camera and I love it. I also have an Oly C-7000 which I intend to sellso I can purchasea wide lens camera. I have narrowed my choices to the Oly 7070 and the Canon S70. Both are 7 mp cameras but Canon is much more compact and the Oly is larger. Of these two, which offers the better image quality? The Canon costs more, but is it worth the extra cash vs. the Oly 7070? And is the Oly really very bulky to handle? :?

I am a newbie but I am eager to learn more and my goal is to become a serious amateur/enthusiast. Any advice would be appreciated.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2

Hello Justinian: I researched several wide angle cameras extensively before I got my Olympus C8080. (No regrets - I absolutely love it!) I narrowed my final choice down to the C7070 and C8080, and each had their strengths.

As to some of the differences between the C7070 and the Canon S70:

Resolution settings choices: 5 on the S70 vs 8 on the Oly C7070

Lens: slightly wider and longer on the Oly: S70=28-100mm vs Oly 27-110mm.

Macro: S70 macro to 4cm vs the Oly's closerfocus to 3cm.

White balance overide controls: S70 = 7 + manual vs Oly 9 +manual.

Metering modes: S70 = 3 vs Oly = 4

Storage: S70 = Compact Flash only vs Oly =both Compact Flash +xD.

Uncompressed modes: S70 = RAW only vs Oly =RAW or TIFF.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the C7070.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05...ly_c7070wz.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C7070/C70A.HTM

Good luck in your search.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks Steve. You have been very helpful. Is there really that much difference b/t the Oly 7070 & 8080, besides 1 mpx.? I can purchase the 7070 for $349.06 today including S&H, whereas the 8080 is about $100 more. Is it really worth the price difference in terms of image quality and battery life? And it is larger and bulkier too, no?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:25 AM   #4

Yes, the 8080 is larger than the C7070, but it handles very well, and it is extremely rugged. The camera itself was designed around the lens, which is absolutely top notch, and shared with no other Oly.

That said, the 8080has a very big learning curve, as it's options and menus arevery extensive, with many custom settings. It takes a lot of patience to fully explore the potential of the camera.It is definitely made for someone with a lot of photography experience to get the best from it.

The C7070 is easier to carry, and will provide super pictures right out of the box, and also offers enough menu options to handle most situations. For your situation, it would be hard to justify the extra cost of a 8080.I believe you would be very happy with the C7070.

If you are buying on the internet, be sure and research the companyvery well. There are a lot of crooks out there selling cameras.Theytypicallyquote a lowball price on the cameras, then try to push overpriced,unneeded accesories. Check out the seller ratings before you buy, and make sure it is a company with hundreds of ratings, not just a few dozen.

Good luck.

Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:56 AM   #5

I would have a look at the sample images on this site. In my opinion the 7070 doesn't handle saturated colors as well as the S70.

I had a 5060 which had the same problem, and my Canon S70 has a much more accorate color quality.

Also, it's a pretty distortion free lens wheras the one in the 5060 was terrible. I'm assuming the 7070 is the same lens because it has the same published specifications.

I shoot a combination of RAW and the highest JPEG. The JPEGs are fairly clean, and you will need the RAW files for really large prints anyway.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:10 PM   #6

I definitely don't agree that the C7070 doesn't handle saturated colors as well. There is10 range settings for both hue and saturation (-5 to +5).

IMHO Olympus generally has more natural colors at normal settings, whereas other brands tend to have more of a boost at the default settings. But all cameras can be adjusted to taste. And and the overwhelming majority ofowners of the C7070 are extremely satisfied with their cameras; as are the owners of the C5050 and C5060.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:37 PM   #7

I just purchased the Oly 7070. It feels great in the hand, and I will post some pics when I can get around to it. Thanks to all for your advice, especially Steve, since you helped me to close the deal. I picked one up at beachcamera.com for just $354.00 with free shipping! :|
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:39 AM   #8
JFW

Hooray for you, Justinian!

I hope to be saying something similar soon, as well. Let us know how the 'break in' process goes for you.

Thanks again for your input on my camera selection process.j
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:29 PM   #9

I just recently purchased a 7070 as well and notice none of the problems you mention, ESPECIALLY the lens distortion issue with the 5060 you mentioned. Images are sharp corner to corner even at wide angle.

spjessop wrote:
Quote:
I would have a look at the sample images on this site. In my opinion the 7070 doesn't handle saturated colors as well as the S70.

I had a 5060 which had the same problem, and my Canon S70 has a much more accorate color quality.

Also, it's a pretty distortion free lens wheras the one in the 5060 was terrible. I'm assuming the 7070 is the same lens because it has the same published specifications.

I shoot a combination of RAW and the highest JPEG. The JPEGs are fairly clean, and you will need the RAW files for really large prints anyway.
J_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:30 AM   #10

Well fwiw ... my choices came down to S70, 7070, 8080 ... Local CompUSA here had an open box S70 for $320+tax, but after trying the camera out I did not really like how controls were laid out for manual adjustments. No store around here had the Oly's to try out; I have tried the 3030/5050 before and liked the feel, so the choice came down to 7070 or 8080, which came down to size and weight. 15oz is about the upper limit for me to tot around all the time, and I've really tried to see if I can live with 23oz - imo I'd end up not having the camera when I need it most - finally ended with ordering a 7070; fwiw 8080 prices bottomed out and is going up again, and it looks like the 7070 too.

Anxiously waiting for the camera to arrive.
core is offline   Reply With Quote