Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:05 PM   #1

Default C4000 Tube Adapter + Filter Question

Hi,

I just got an Olympus C4000 Zoom less than a month ago and I'm extremely pleased with it so far. I just purchased the Tiffen equivalent to the CLA-1 adapter tube on Ebay and want to buy a couple of filters for this lense. Can I attach one directly to the tube or do I need an adapter? I've noticed some talk on this forum about using step up rings. I did see 43-46 mm rings as well as a 41-46 mm tube on 2filter.com. I also saw 43 mm filters on there as well.

I'm a little confused here so any help would be great.

thanks,
Bill
mtfbwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:41 PM   #2

good job getting the tiffen rather than the olympus the tiffen is slightly longer and a step up ring is not needed as it would be in the cla i have the same set up as you and it works great i bought a set of 43mm filters from circuit city and im now going to go buy a 43mm telephoto and possibly a wide angle the nice thing about not getting a step up ring is that the 43mm is not in the way of the flash as it would be in a larger diameter the only distortion i have noticed is with both a uv and a polorazer on at the same time at full telephoto so i will probably take my uv filter off when i use other filters or telephoto but i leave it on all the time other wise and do not worry about my lens at all hope that helps
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:04 PM   #3

You can purchase 43mm filters from www.2filter.com. I would recommend a step up ring to 52mm, the filters are easier to come by.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:21 AM   #4

I have the tiffen 41mm to 43mm tube adapter also along with the tiffen filter set I purchase also at Circuitcity. When I stack both UV and Circular polarizer with the tiffen tube adaptor, I get vignetting (spelling) when taking photos at wide focus.

When I have a setup with the Olympus CLA-1 tube adapter--->43mm to 49mm step up ring-->49mm UV-->49mm circular polar, I get no vignetting what so ever at wide focus, but I do however get a dark area on the left lower corner of the photo when I take wide focus photos.

This dark area is caused by the increased mass of the 49mm setup and blocking the flash towards the left. One big advantage of setting up for 49mm is that there are more lens of that size to choose from and the price seems to be much cheaper for lens of 49mm.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:41 AM   #5

Okay, so it looks like a step up to 49 or 52 mm is preferable to just using 43 mm. I want to eventually add a telephoto and wide angle lense to this camera as well. The external flash will have to come further down the road since all of the gear to add one (flash, cable & bracket) is near the price of the camera itself.

What is the best route for adding the lenses? I noticed that the lenses are available for 43 mm but filter selection is extremely limited. Should I step up from 43 to 49 or 52 with this camera?

thanks
Bill
mtfbwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 10:13 AM   #6

I bought the tiffen tube and UV filter/Polarizer filter set at circuit city. I have not used the polarizer, but the tube and UV work great. It also protects the lens and avoids the inevitable lens vs. cap smash. With the 41mm-43mm you can still use the original Olympus lens cap too, it does fit nicely on the 43mm even though it's a 41mm cap.
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote