Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 8, 2003, 5:47 PM   #1

Default 720uz can't do panoramic w/o special mem card!!!!????

I read in my manual that my new 720 can only do panoramic pictures when using a CANMEDIA panoramic memory card.

Excuse me, but WTF?

The mem card is simply solid state memory, I should be able to store my resume in MS-Word format if my heart desires. So why can't a SanDisk card hold a panoramic picture.

Anyone know anything about this?

~S
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2003, 6:00 PM   #2

This is a link that will help you with pano shots with non olympus cards:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=panoramic
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:16 AM   #3

Thanks,

I figured that it was something cheezy like that. Now I have to 'rent' a card read. :-)

~S
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:58 AM   #4

You can buy panoramic enabled Smartmedia card readily on eBay for very competitive prices. Type in Olympus Smartmedia in eBay's search field and see.
Goobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 6:18 PM   #5

I highly recommend PanoramaFactory for doing single tier panos. And it doesn't need an Olympus card . Well worth the $35 shareware fee (after a fully-functioned trail period).
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 6:38 PM   #6

When I get my C-730, I plan to use 3rd party cards in it and keep the card that comes with the camera in standby for use only for panoramic pictures.

Hopefully I can get by this way, if not I'll just have to buy a proper Oly card or 'hack' another one.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:12 AM   #7

I have a C700 and have successfully converted all my cards to "Olympus" cards, but still see no need for the panorama mode, but it's nice to know I can if I want to.

We should all complain LOUDLY to Olympus and mention that in the future we will look more seriously at other brands of cameras that do not use blackmail tactics to sell their overpriced peripherals. You can threaten this even if you plan to buy Olympus again since it is probably the only way to get companies to stop this type of thing. It really makes me mad when I buy a product and then find out that in order to use one of the features I have to buy their card. I could understand it if their was actually a physical difference, but that is NOT the case here.

In order to convert your cards to "Olympus" cards you need a program called SMPREP which should have come with your card reader, assuming you have one.

If you are not technically inclined I would not reccomend attempting the hack yourself. Send me a message and I can help out anyone who wants to convert their cards.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:14 AM   #8

By the way, the hack only works with Smartmedia. Does anyone know if the newer cameras are disabled that use CF or xD?
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 9:11 AM   #9

All the Olympus card does is turn on frames in the viewfinder to help compose, then you use the Camedia software to assemble the panorama. You can shoot overlapping shots, panning from one side to the other, with any card, and then stitch the shots in other software. For example, Adobe Elements has a panorama stitching feature.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote