Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1

I read somewhere on another forum that it is best to keep the ISO at 80 on the C-7070 and then forget about it. But then you would be taking all your photos at ISO 80 and then your light situation (whether indoors or outdoors) would not be properly adjusted by AUTO mode or another ISO that would be more appropriate. :?Bottom line: is it better just to leave the7070 on AUTO mode and let the camera make the judgment or can someone recommend setting the ISO to a particular mode and just leaving it there? As you can tell, I am a newbie and have alot to learn about ISO and other things. Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2
JFW

You know, you were so nice to chime in on my 'issues'...:?

I, personally, don't have much experiencewith this in the digital world, but back in The Darkroom Ages, when I used my 35mm, I preferred to shoot only ISO100 film. It provided the sharpest cleanest images.. as the ISO increases (?)... 200... 1600, the grain (noise in digital speak) increases. However,ISO100did limit my low light capabilities.. I had to whip out my flash more than I would have had I been using ISO400 film...

Now, with that said, I have seen and taken some really cool pictures pushing the film to produce greater grain (noise). I recently saw a beach shot (online somewhere in the last week)with high noise levels that looked really cool. The noise became part of the presentation...

So, it's like one of those personal choice questions, in my book... But at the same time, I don't know ifall of my 35mm knowledge transfers to digital world really well... play with the ISO and see what you like under different circumstances...

Gambatte! j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

Hi Guys: Don't be afaid to use all the tools in your basket. I change ISO frequently based on the shooting conditions. It's much better to have a sharp photo at 400 speed than a 50 speed shot with camera blur. (If the noise is excessive, use Neat Image to remove it. It's a great free software.) Also, I like to change the ISO to get the f-stop and shutter speed that I want for a particular shot, which may not be what the Auto setting would select.

Besides, changing the ISO is a great learning experience. From time to time,I take the same shot with different ISO settings, so I can later closely study the effect of the changes. Becoming familiar with that, helps you choose the right setting quickly.

Be sure and share some of your photos on the forum.:-)

C-ya,

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys. JFW, what book are you referring to as "my book"? Is it still for sale?
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:37 AM   #5
JFW

"my book"... that'd be a loosely tied together accumulation of sometimes bent pages, filledwith an odd assortment ofoccasionally relevent information,accompanied by cool doodles in the margins...

sorry... not for sale

j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote