Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:18 PM   #1

Default Dark spot when using adapter tube

When using a 41-43mm adatper tube on my Oly C3000z at the widest angle I get a dark area in the lower left corner of the image. I know it's caused by the tube partially blocking the flash but does anyone know a way to protect my lens, take a wide angle shot and have no dark spot? I've used the Tiffen and the Oly CL-1 adapters and they both do it.
Thanks!
Ūmae
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:57 PM   #2

a also have a 3000 but my oly cla-1 doesnt vignette at the corners at the widest angle, unless i put filters onto it. If that is what happens, try an enlarger from 43 to 46 or 49 or even 52mm if you have to to use larger filters.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:25 PM   #3

Two options:

1) remove the tube when you're doing flash photography

2) get an external flash

Otherwise, you have to live with pictures like this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6328789
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:33 PM   #4

Is there one lens adapter tube better than the other? Or is there only one type available?

I've noticed the dark spot in the corner as well. I have a c4000z. It's going in for repair though because the flash isn't working like it should.

So, while it's in repair, I'm going to do more research and try to figure out if the damn thing is worth keeping (just got it the beginning of this month!)
Lyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:55 PM   #5

try holding a sheet of white paper 45 degrees to the right of the flash to bounce it to the dark spot in the corner....it should reduce it, I recommend an external flash moreso though.
andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:36 AM   #6

You can get tubes with a smaller diameter, but then you risk vignetting (a black circle around the picture).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:24 PM   #7

Default back up a bit and zoom in

Just zoom in a little bit. with my c-700 I got the shadow even with the smallest tube available - but only when I was less than 12" away.
tverry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:58 PM   #8

Ok,just a FYI.I Don't know if any other recent Olympus cameras can do this but on my C-5050 I can set my flash to slave mode and use slow 1 and there is no pre flash.This means slaves work with the camera flash and the strength of the flash on the built in flash is adjustable from 0-10.You have to be in manual mode to do this.
I bought two Quantaray MS-1 slaves that are perfect for this.I also bought the Sunpak DS-20 which will work in auto or slave if I want to use the camera shoe.All I can say is check your settings to see if you have this feature.Take a look you might have it already.Good Luck

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote