Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

Hi, guys! I need some advises. I want to buy a Oly C8080 camera with some accessories:

butterflyphoto.com

OlympusCamedia C-8080 Wide Zoom

TheOlympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Digital Camera delivers a remarkable 8 million pixels of resolution yet remains the embodiment of style and durability. It has a rugged, black, ergonomic magnesium alloy body conforms to the photographer's hand.

Our Price: $461.00

OlympusOlympus 1 GB High Speed XD Card

Olympus 1GB xD-Picture Card is an ultra-compact high capacity memory card that allows you to capture much more and in higher resolution before the images must be downloaded or the card changed.

Our Price: $119.00

For OlympusBLM1 High Capacity Battery + Ac/Dc 1 Hr Charger.

($159 Value) Don't miss a great photo-op because your camera's power is drained. Stay prepared by bringing along extra batter + Charge your Battery on the go in 1 Hr.

Our Price: $99.00

MerkuryMedium Digital Camera Carrying Case

Light Weight and Compact Design. Mesh Side Storage Compartment. Fully Padded Interior. Weather and Shock Resistant. Detachable Adjustable Shoulder Strap.

Our Price: $29.99

Also, a basic tripod (20$) and an AC Adapter (30$)...

From your experience, those above accesories are trully necessary? What can I replace with other stuff ? It is not a problem regarding money, it is just for using the right accessories (quality/price) for this camera.. Do I really need a High Speed Card? Or I can manage save all pictures in a Digital visions 1GB Compact Flash Card (30$ cheaper, but obviosly slower than XD High Speed Card) ? Or other recomandations?

Thanks in advance for your answers...

Cheers.
Dan.
combat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:44 PM   #2

i ordered my 8080 from them and talked to the guy on the phone today. i got him to throw in the high capacity battery for free with the 3 year service plan. i wouldn't really get any other accessories from them, because they are a little overpriced.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:54 PM   #3

Hey Combat2k: Iam a very happy owner of a C8080, and offer this advice:

1. Avoid Butterfly Photo. They are a rip-off company that tries to make you buy un-needed and totally overpriced accessories before they will deliver the "low-priced" camera. Their store rating for the past 6 months is about 6.5 out of 10. A good store will average 9+.

2. If you insist on ordering your C8080 from them: don't buy any of the accessories. They are overpriced and un-needed. Of course, then you may be told that the camera is "out of stock"; or they take a long time to ship. Per buyer ratings, it is hit or miss with this company.

After you get used to your camera, then decide on what, if any additional accessories to buy.Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buya512mb or 1 Gb CF cards. Use your xD as an in-camera backup for the CF card, or for using the Oly panaramic feature. You can buy a spare 256mb xD card from Sam's Club for $30. A 1 gig xD card at Best buy should run about $100.

Buy a spare battery from a reputable source, there are a lot of poorly constructed BLM-1 clones out there. http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Buy a multicard reader and use that to download your photos frequently to your computer.

I could go on and on, but I'm short on time.

Good luck.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:03 AM   #4

Hey, Steven! Thanks for the advises...

So, I understood the battery clones issues. Nice link, btw :!: Also the card links were really nice.. in conclusion, a normal CF with normal speed is ok for a C8080? do I really need a HS card?

and all I need right now is to find a trusted site to buy a camera.. i used the link

http://www.dealtime.com/xCP-Olympus_...T-1~VK-3012400

and that's why ButterflyPhoto seemed to me as a trusted site. Any advices ? should I use zoommania.com ? like in

http://www.bizrate.com/digitalcamera...__sort--6.html

The questions are not only 4 u (thanks again 4 the answer) but for everyone else who bought a C8080 from e-commerce sites... Please, give me a trusted site since I cannot trust a rating site :-) Or a trusted rating site to choose a trusted site to buy from :-) It sounds pretty confusing..... well, probably it is because of last night dream.. i've dreamed that the first answer in this topic was 'buy a dSLR!!' ... that was a really nightmare:blah:

Thanks in advance, guys!

Cheers
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:11 PM   #5

Hey again: Go buy a Popular Photography Magazine andlook attheir listing of "Check-Rated" sellers. These are old-line stores that have not only been in business long before the internet, but agree to the standard's set by the magazine.

Easier still: http://www.popphoto.com/default.asp?section_id=12with a listing of some of the stores. I have used several ofthem over the years, with never a problem: B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, etc. The price may be a little higher than some of the other internet stores, but you get exactly what is promised at the price that is quoted.

Also, I have bought directly from Olympus at their E-Bay auction site, with excellent price and service. They sell their refurbs and open items, etc. You need to check it out. (I just checked, and there is currently 8 Oly C8080 available as I write this.)

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions

Also, check one of the sponsors of Steve's Digicams: KEH Camera Brokers. I haven't bought from them, but their selection seems good, and they do sponsor this website.

http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

Good luck with your hunting!:-)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:53 AM   #6

Cheers, mate! Great advises!

Actually, as I read almost all about c8080, I think that maybe it is too much for me. Since I'm a beginner and probably I need a point and shot camera. And since a usual one is not enough 4 me, I was thinking of buying a ultra slim one

I saw the oly style black camera which looks awesome But I guess I'll go for a Casio EX-Z750. Especially for movie quality.

So.. I was just prepared to ask on Baterry topics about some clones of casio z750 baterries. Do you have any links/hints?

Thanks again and sorry if I put to many questions

Edit : great prices for Z750 on B&H Photo .... very very nice prices...