Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:38 PM   #1

Default Vivitar 285 HV and Olympus C4040

Does anyone use the above combination of flash and camera or something similar...I'm thinking of buying the Vivitar flash but I would like to hear some feedback first, and to know what cable and bracket I should purchase to use it with my Oly C4040.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:57 PM   #2

This page will give you the info you need:

http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

The only thing is the Vivitar flash isn't TTL (you'll have to manually adjust the intensity), don't know how it will react to a preflash signal from the camera, and it doesn't have a focus assist beam (in low light, the camera can't focus but with the aid of a focus assist light, the camera can focus).

The perfect mate for this (and other C-series Olys that can take an external flash) is the Olympus FL-40.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 9:45 PM   #3

I've used the C730 and Vivitar 283 with success. Portraits are good bouncing the 283 and using the C730 flash to "fill in". I mount the 283 on a flash bracket (generic) and connect to the C730 with the Olympus TTL-PC cord (you must have this cord). The 283's PC cord attaches to one end of the TTL-PC Cord and the other end of the TTL-PC attaches to the camera. I have to use the camera on manuel mode. I've been using the 283 set on the "Red Mode", the camera at F4 with 200 shutter speed, ISO 100. I have had good luck when I set the camera to match the flash settings. I am still experimenting. Good Luck, and if you have any ideas let me know. Thanks
rcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:09 AM   #4

Thankyou very much for the advice, I feel the Oly flash is a little too expensive for me so I will definitely go with the Vivitar setup.
andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:11 PM   #5

Default OLympus and Vivitar 283-285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
This page will give you the info you need:

http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

The only thing is the Vivitar flash isn't TTL (you'll have to manually adjust the intensity), don't know how it will react to a preflash signal from the camera, and it doesn't have a focus assist beam (in low light, the camera can't focus but with the aid of a focus assist light, the camera can focus).

The perfect mate for this (and other C-series Olys that can take an external flash) is the Olympus FL-40.

I am using a Vivitar 283 from years ago with a Wein peanut slave from B&H photo ($20) that plugs in where the sync cord goes. Olympus c700 flash exposure set to -2EV. The Wein slave activates the 283 and gives perfect exposures. The camera and flash are mounted on an old bracket that was used on Nikon F's.
Be sure to get the Wein slave built for digicams.
mfchupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:33 PM   #6

Default C700 and Vivitar 283-285 with Wein peanut flash slave

In my previous post I forgot to mention that the camera is set to ISO 100 and the standard Vivitar flash sensor is on the flash set at whatever color that coresponds to ISO 100. The camera is used in programmed mode. This camera only allows setting of ISO and -2EV in that mode.

The combination gives great flash ptotos.
mfchupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:00 PM   #7

Like I said though, with the Vivitar you have to do more thinking...it's not for the beginner who doesn't know stuff like what ISO is.

Most who have used the Oly FL-40 praise it though...especially since it does all the work with talking back and forth with the camera.

I admit it's hard to justify the cost of the flash, especially since a digi-slave is so inexpensive. But then the slave doesn't give you the focus assist beam (of course Oly should have been putting it in all their digitals, instead of cutting back).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote