Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1

I am new to the forum as well as digital photography. I recently bought an olympus C 770 after some research and the fact that I have used Olympus film cameras for years. I have been having problems with some of the pictures I have been taking and I am hoping someone could help me.

One of the reasons I bought this model was due to the fact that it has a 10x zoom. A lot of the pictures I want to take are of my daughters on stage for the different school things they are involved in.

I recently tried taking pictures of my one daughter on stage during her school play. I was very disappointed in how they came out. Most of them were grainy. Plus some looked washed out or were to dark. I tried using the camera different ways. I used auto mode as well as sports mode. I also tried auto flash, fill flash and red eye reduction flash. I also had the problem where the childrens eyes were white with no color at all.

Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can get better pictures of them on stage. I want to avoid this graininess, washed out look or where it is too dark. I also would appreciate any ideas on how I can avoid this white eye thing. Thanks
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:26 AM   #2

Two words, "get closer". 10x zoom is great, but you need ample light to make full use of it. The "graininess" you describe is noise, which is a result of the camera kicking up the ISO to comphensate for the low light. Also keep in mind that the flash only has a range of about 10-15ft, so it will be useless for subjects farther than that and cause the image to appear too dark. As for the white eye thing, I'm not quite sure what would cause that. I'd have to see the picture and the EXIF data to formulate a hypothesis.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:19 AM   #3

I am not sure what the EXIF is? I will look to see if I have some of the pictures with the white eye in them. I have heard of other people getting the white eye thing in their digital prints, but no place have I seen why it happens.

I did not know the graininess was due to what you said, Thanks for the information. Lots of times though in these situations I cannot get closer. Is there anything elseI can do to remedy this? I have heard of bounce and slave flashes, would that help if I cannot get closer?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote