Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

I live near the ocean and like to take a lot of pictures by the beach. But lots of times there is a haze in the air. I want to make my pictures clearer and sharper. I have tried taking the pictures and than auto enhancing them once they are on my computer, but thean the colors are to dark and do not look natural. Is there something I can do to take clearer sharper pictures when there is a haze?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:28 PM   #2

Circular Polarizing Filter should help cut thru the haze.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p;accessory=55
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:09 PM   #3

I've never found a polarizer to be of much use in haze. They make haze filters that cut it some. It warms the picture a little, but your auto white balance might just compensate for that. Skylight filters also cut haze a little, and they come in different strengths. You probably want the highest number for haze.

If your image editor has unsharp mask, you can do a defogging technique that helps a lot without darkening the picture. Set the amount around 16 and the radius up around 180. It isn't actually a sharpening step, but I cleans up the picture nicely.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4

With a LP (linear polarizer), easy way is to rotate the filter untill you get the 'darkest' sky - abeit much easier on a SLR. I've found LP much better at cutting thru haze compared to UV, but it requires tweeking (rotate).

Also, do a search on UV and Sky filters, 1A and 2A/B/C/E.

btw, anyone has comments on UV filter effects on a CCD vs. film?
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5

core wrote:
Quote:
With a LP (linear polarizer), easy way is to rotate the filter untill you get the 'darkest' sky - abeit much easier on a SLR. I've found LP much better at cutting thru haze compared to UV, but it requires tweeking (rotate).

Also, do a search on UV and Sky filters, 1A and 2A/B/C/E.

btw, anyone has comments on UV filter effects on a CCD vs. film?
Most digital cameras have UV filters built in. People use them primarily to protect the lens. I don't think they have the same effect as with film.

Your experience with polarizers is different from mine. I used polarizers often on my film SLRs and never seemed to get any haze reduction. The main effect was darkening the blue in the sky and killing reflections.

I have polarizers for two of my digital cameras but don't use them nearly as much. For the sky I find I do better with Photoshop. I do keep them with me for the occasional reflection though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote