Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:54 PM   #1

I used to have a Sony DSC-P92 5MP camera. Even while clicking at 1280X960, the photos were quite good. The camera only has an Auto Mode. I am notan expert but can certainly tell one from another.

I have now purchased an Olympus C-770UZ. I have noticed in Auto Mode as well as Manual Mode, and even at 2288X1712 HQ, i don't seem to find the picture quality even 'Good'. The pictures are distorted.

Is this true; can this be confirmed that the quality of pictures is Olympus is not very good????

Thanks in advance.
aptcloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:53 AM   #2

Hm - I have my Oly C770 UZ since August 2004 and took tons of pictures. Ofc you won't get only perfect shots... but you have the chance of very good pictures with a real good image quality with the C770.

What excatly do you mean with distorted? If you shoot at wide angle you may have that "fisheye" feeling sometimes, but I bet you aren't talking about that.

I personally went for sharpness-1 and contrast-1 after some tries and am happy with most pictures I get right from the cam.

A little post-processing to get colors right (skin tones, white balance) if I really want a "whoa" piccy and the cropping/sharpening/remove noise thingie when whooting in high ISO mode...

But again: I usually have a rate of 50%+ pics per session that could be printed right away on 10x15cm and nobody would call them a bad picture.

Feel free to ask more specific questions - maybe I can help.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:57 AM   #3

As for resolution...

I usually use HQ/4mpix which gives me estimated 261 shots per 256MB XD card and am quite satisfied with the compression and stuff. Pictures are usually less than 1MB (8xx kb something is standard). JPEG artifacts aren't too bad.

Higher ISO and less grainy pictures on ISO would be a nice thing - but you can't have everything.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Set the camera on something and take a picture with the self timer. If the pictures are still distorted you might have a problem with the camera. Or if you are getting the distortions you refer to with the zoom at wide angle you might have a camera problem.

Many people who upgrade to long zoom cameras without stabilization think they can just snap away at full telephoto the same way they did with their old cameras. The rule of thumb is that using good holding technique you need the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent focal length to get a really sharp photo. You eq focal length at full zoom is 380mm, so you need 1/380 sec to generate a totally sharp picture. That is pretty hard to generate in anything but bright sunlight.

If you just want to display images onscreen or make small prints you can get by with less shutter speed if you work on your holding technique. And taking several shots gives you a better chance of hitting a null moment in hand shake. But you can't get consistently good results at 1/80 second at full zoom like you could with your Sony. Half press the shutter and look at what shutter speeds you are generating.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote